A Wisconsin woman who spent five years fleeing after being recruited by her “long distance lover” to kill a man in the United Kingdom was declared guilty on Tuesday, British authorities said.
Aimee Betro, 45, was convicted of conspiracy for murder and possession of a firearm with the intention of causing fear or violence in the failed murder plot in September 2019.
The authorities said a father of Derbyshire, Mohammed Aslam, and his son, Mohammed Nazir, recruited Betro to kill a man with whom they fought. Betro tried to shoot the son of man outside the family of Birmingham of the family, but his weapon stuck, said West Midlands police in a press release. The son jumped back to his car and fled. They didn’t shoot him.
He returned home hours later and shot three bullets through the bedroom windows.
After the shootings, Betro briefly returned to the United States before running. She was arrested in Armenia last year, police said.
“Only Betro knows what really motivated her or what he tried to see himself in a crime that meant that he was traveling to hundreds of miles from Wisconsin to Birmingham to execute an attack against a man who did not know,” said Hannah Sidaway, specialist Prosecutor of the Prosecutor’s Office of the West Midlands Prosecutor’s Office, in a statement.
Betro arrived in the United Kingdom on August 22, 2019, a little more than two weeks before the shooting. The authorities said he tried to pass it as a tourist, publishing photos and videos of reference points, but “his true purpose was to commit a murder.”
Police said he met with Nazir, who allegedly recruited her to carry out the attack after knowing her In an appointment application. According to prosecutors, Aslam and Nazir were fighting with a man after an altercation in the man’s shop.
The first shooting occurred on September 7, 2019. The Police said the security video showed the son of man leaving his car when Betro approached. Prosecutors said he disguised himself as a Niqab, a garment used by Muslim women to cover their bodies and faces.
“Betro tried to kill a man in a street in Birmingham at close range,” said Sidaway. “It’s pure luck that he has managed to be unharmed.”
He returned to the house early the next morning, shooting shots through the windows.
The authorities said that Betro sent a text message to the victim’s father after both shootings and said: “Stop playing Hide N Seek. You’re lucky to get stuck. Who is it? Your family or you? Choose one.”
Police also said they found a video on Nazir’s phone about the gun that Betro used in the shootings. The security video also showed him to buy “Burner” phones before the shootings.
The researchers said in Betro’s trial that he did not “have a great criminal footprint” in the United States or anywhere else, the BBC reported. She denied her participation in the shootings, telling the jury that it was “a terrible coincidence” that was in the area around the time of attacks, the exit reported.
Betro was also condemned in a separate incident that involved his smuggling of ammunition in the United Kingdom in an attempt to frame another Nazir’s rival, according to the police.
It is scheduled to be sentenced on August 21.
Aslam and Nazir were convicted of charges related to the murder plot. Asm was sentenced last year to 10 years in prison, and Nazir was sentenced to 32 years.