World juniors: Canada picks up pieces after Latvia loss


Peter Anholt tried to keep things light as he stepped out of one of the elevators at the Canada hotel.

The temperature had risen high for the veteran hockey executive and the country’s under-20 program after a stunning upset about 12 hours earlier.

“You only want to talk to me when things go wrong, huh?” Anholt joked with reporters Saturday morning.

“Is that how this works?”

In fact, that’s what happens when a powerhouse with a record of 20 gold medals that is expected to overwhelm an opponent suffers one of its worst all-time losses in the tournament.

Canada was embarrassed 3-2 at home by Latvia, a country it had beaten by a combined score of 41-4 in four previous meetings, in a shocking penalty shootout on Friday.

After a disastrous fifth place last year in Sweden and after much talk about improving their competitive level and preparation, the Canadians seemed disjointed for long periods against the brave and hard-working Latvians.

The power play finally clicked late in the third period, but remains 1 for 7 through two games, while the top line of Easton Cowan, Calum Ritchie and Bradly Nadeau has yet to translate their pre-tournament chemistry into success in the center of attention. .

“We’re certainly trying to solve the problem, but not throw the baby out with the bathwater,” said Anholt, who heads the global junior organization. “We have to be very careful.”

Canada, which earned a solid 4-0 victory over Finland in its tournament opener on Thursday, saw plenty of time in the offensive zone and directed 57 shots at Latvian goalkeeper Linards Feldbergs. However, that total included too many one-time perimeter efforts with little traffic in front.

Sure, there were desperate moments, especially late in regulation and in 3-on-3 overtime, but not enough for a roster littered with first-round NHL draft picks and top prospects.

“We played very, very hard,” Anholt said in defending his players. “We controlled the puck a lot. We created some chances. Their goalie was really good and they defended really well…99 out of 100 times we won that game.”

Hoping for a big response on Sunday against Germany before facing the United States on New Year’s Eve to tie the round-robin match in Group A, Canada will have to move forward without one of its best players.

Star defenseman Matthew Schaefer was injured Friday and is out of the tournament after crashing into the Latvian net and skidding in favor of the left shoulder area.

“A tough blow for the kid,” Anholt said. “The way he plays, he plays at a very high speed.”

Cowan, a first-round pick of the Toronto Maple Leafs, said Canada remains confident despite Friday’s ugly result in the nation’s capital.

“We’re fine,” said the 19-year-old from Mount Brydges, Ont. “Everyone has lost a hockey game before.”

But not like that, nor to that opponent in that scenario.

“It’s a little (bad) feeling,” said Nadeau, a Carolina Hurricanes prospect from St-Francois-de-Madawaska, N.B. “We all know what this group is capable of. Losing that game is not our standard.

“We will recover.”

Some corners of social media exploded following the Latvia debacle, with heavy criticism directed at head coach Dave Cameron and the overall construction of the team’s roster.

“We’re not really worried about it,” defenseman and Ottawa native Oliver Bonk, who like Cowan returned from last year’s team, said of the outside noise. “We know we didn’t play well.”

Canada seems ready to mix things up against the Germans. Vancouver Canucks prospect Sawyer Mynio of Kamloops, BC, will replace Schaefer, while Anholt indicated there’s a good chance forward Carson Rehkopf will get his first shot at the 2025 tournament as a returnee.

The Seattle Kraken’s 19-year-old second-round pick from Vaughan, Ont., has scored a combined 78 goals in his last 97 regular-season and playoff games in the Ontario Hockey League.

“Great player,” Cowan said. “He finds ways.”

Anholt said taking a global approach is key during difficult times.

“Let’s not panic,” he said. “The world has not collapsed. It is difficult, but we will learn from it.”

It’s something Canada will have to do under intense scrutiny.

“People will love you and hate you,” said Cowan, who has a goal and an assist in two games. “I have to keep doing it.”

Anholt, who was also at the helm 12 months ago when Canada never got going, isn’t getting any 2024 vibes from this year’s group.

“Not even in any way, shape or form,” he said. “We just have to take care of business.”

On Sunday they will have their first chance to redeem themselves.


This report by The Canadian Press was first published Dec. 28, 2024.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *