President Donald Trump dismissed the head of the National Archives, said a White House official on Friday night, after a vote last month to change the leadership about the agency, which was involved in the criminal case he had accused A Trump for mismanagement of classified documents.
The director of presidential staff of the White House, Sergio Gor, said in X that the national archivist Colleen Shogan was fired on Friday night in the direction of Trump.
“In the @realdonaldtrump direction, the United States archivist has been fired tonight. We thank Colleen Shogan for his service, ”Gor wrote.
Gor did not indicate who would take care of Shogan’s position.
The national archives did not provide an answer when asked about Shogan’s dismissal, instead, he referred to NBC News to the White House to comment. The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comments.
Trump said in an interview with the Radio Hugh Hewitt host last month he intended to fire Shogan, saying: “We will have a new archivist.”
The national archives played a key role in the criminal case against Trump, alerting the Department of Justice in 2022 that Trump had evil managed the documents classified after the president did not return the records that the agency had requested, something that the presidents must do After leaving the office.
Shagan, who became a national archivist in May 2023, did not lead the agency at the time of its participation in the case.
Trump finally returned some of the records, but maintained others, and the researchers said they He obtained the security video in July 2022 that shows Trump’s attendees moving boxes of classified documents. The FBI then opened a criminal investigation into Trump, looking for Mar-A-Lago and finding 11 additional documents of documents.
Trump, who was the first former president accused of federal crimes, declared himself innocent of any irregularity.
The federal judge appointed by Trump, Aileen Cannon, dismissed the case last year, arguing that the special lawyer of the Department of Justice, Jack Smith, had been unconstitutionally appointed. Smith appealed the dismissal, but the case ended after Trump’s elections last year due to the practice of the Long Justice Department of not processing the presidents sitting.
Since he assumed the position last month, the Trump administration has dismissed several officials who have participated in investigations against the president, dismissing several career lawyers of the Department of Justice and senior officials of the FBI. Two groups of FBI agents who participated in investigations against them sued the Department of Justice on Tuesday, claiming that a survey that received instructions to complete their roles was used to identify objectives for dismissal.