Karachi: Hours after deciding to transfer the HBL Pakistan Super (PSL) to the United Arab Emirates, the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) postponed the remaining tournament, following the growing military tensions with the Indian neighbor.
The measure occurred on the same day that the Indian Cricket Board announced the postponement of its own Premier League (IPL) tournament of India for at least a week.
“The last 24 hours have seen a worsening of the situation in the LOC, a greater incursion of 78 drones and the shooting of the surface to the surface of the missiles of India,” said the PCB in a press release issued on Friday, and added that the decision was made “in accordance with the advice received” from Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif.
“The PCB and its players remain resolutely in solidarity with the families of the martyrs and our security staff that defends the nation,” reads the statement.
Meanwhile, the Secretary of the Control Board for Cricket in India (BCCI), Devajit Saikia, said they had decided to suspend the rest of the IPL 2025 in progress with immediate effect for a week.
PSL ‘postponed’ hours after the decision to change the tournament to the EAU
When asked if the players and foreigner support staff had had the option to return home in case they felt uncomfortable, Saikia told Reuters: “That is not our domain. It is for individual franchises to decide what they want to do with their foreign recruits.”
The tenth edition of the PSL involved 37 foreign players, including England, Australia, New Zealand, Western Indies and South Africa.
Most foreign players wanted to leave Pakistan after a drone fell adjacent to the Cricket Rawalpindi stadium, where Thursday’s game was canceled.
The first level players included former Australian opener David Warner, the former Captain of the Western India Jason Holder and the current New Zealand Black ball captain, Michael Bracewell.
There were eight games in the PSL, including the play-offs and the final, scheduled for May 18.
The PCB also said that the safety of the players was essential.
“We, on the PCB, also have sincere consideration for the mental well -being of the participating players and the feelings of our foreign players, and respect the concerns of their families that want to see them at home.”
Previously, a statement from the president of PCB, Mohsin Naqvi, said that the Board had decided to transfer the remaining matches to the EAU so that national and foreign Cricket players could be saved from “the possible imprudent orientation by India.”
However, the decision to postpone the league occurred hours later, on Friday.
It was said that Cricket Australia was closely observing the tense situation, with more than two dozen players and coaches involved in the IPL and the PSL.
“We continue to closely monitor the situation in Pakistan and India, including obtaining regular advice and updates of the Australian government, the authorities of PCB, BCCI and the local government, and maintain communication with our players and the support personnel currently in the region,” CA said in a statement on Friday morning.
Posted in Dawn, May 10, 2025