South Korean police on Thursday raided the offices of Jeju Air and the operator of Muan International Airport as part of the investigation into the fatal crash of a Boeing 737-800 plane that killed 179 people.
The flight was carrying 181 people from Thailand to South Korea on Sunday when it issued a distress call and landed upside down before crashing into a barrier, killing everyone on board except two flight attendants rescued from the burning wreckage.
Authorities carried out search and seizure operations at the Muan airport where Flight 2216 crashed, a regional aviation office in the southwestern city and the Jeju Air office in the capital Seoul.
South Korean and American investigators, including those from Boeing, have been combing the crash site since the disaster to establish a cause, and both black boxes have been found and decoding work is underway.
“In connection with the plane crash… a search and seizure operation is underway since 9 a.m. (5:00 a.m. PST) on January 2 at three locations,” police said in a statement sent to AFP.
“The police plan to quickly and rigorously determine the cause and responsibility of this accident in accordance with the law and principles.”
The police said AFP that the search warrant was issued, and Yonhap reported that he was cleared on charges of professional negligence resulting in death, citing officials.
South Korea also announced that it will inspect all Boeing 737-800 aircraft operated by its carriers, focusing on the landing gear, which appears to have failed during Sunday’s crash.
South Korea’s acting president, Choi Sang-mok, said Thursday that “immediate action” should be taken if that investigation uncovers any problems with the plane model.
Authorities had previously said that six different airlines operated 101 planes of the same model.
“As there is great public concern about the same model of aircraft involved in the accident, the Ministry of Transportation and relevant agencies should conduct a comprehensive inspection of operations, maintenance, education and training,” Choi said on Thursday.
“If any problems are found during the inspection, take immediate corrective measures,” he added.
The accident is the worst air disaster ever to occur on South Korean soil.
South Korean authorities completed initial data extraction for the cockpit voice recorder, but the flight data recorder was damaged and needed to be sent to the United States for analysis, officials said Wednesday.
‘I miss you’
Authorities initially pointed to a bird strike as a possible cause of the disaster and have since said the probe was also examining a concrete barrier at the end of the runway.
Dramatic video showed the plane colliding with him before bursting into flames. The Land Ministry said in a statement that the country’s airports were also being inspected “to assess installation sites” around their runways.
As the investigation continued, families traveled to the crash site for the first time Wednesday to pay their respects, and some returned the next day with cardboard boxes to collect their loved ones’ belongings.
At the airport on Thursday, a monk led prayers near the crash site, while inside the airport, the stairs were covered in colorful sticky notes left by mourners. “Honey, I miss you so much,” one of them said.
“Even if in death you faced lonely and painful moments, may you now fly like a butterfly,” said another.
Relatives also left flowers and food near the site, including tteokguk (rice cake soup traditionally enjoyed in South Korea on New Year’s Day), as they said goodbye, many of them crying.
Local media reported a handwritten note, apparently written by the pilot’s brother, that was placed next to gimbap, a popular Korean dish, and a glass near the crash site.
“I feel heartbroken when I think of the struggles you faced alone (in your final moments),” it said.
“You were really amazing and did very well, so I hope that now you can find happiness in a warm place. Thank you and I’m sorry.”
On Wednesday, a holiday in the south, hundreds of people lined up to pay their respects at a memorial altar at the airport set up to honor the victims.
So many people flocked to the monument that the queue stretched for hundreds of meters and the local mobile phone network was overloaded, local media reported. Other altars have been erected for victims across the country.