A series rapist who says he was permanently disabled by a penitentiary attack was the author of his own misfortune, according to a defense declaration presented by the Canadian Attorney General in the Federal Court.
Sofyan Boalag, whose wave of sexual aggressions terrified St. John’s in 2012, is demanding the federal government.
He alleges the staff of a federal prison could not protect him from stabbing in February 2023, which left him unable to walk for the rest of his life. However, in a defense statement, the federals say that Boalag brought it to himself.
Among the details of his “contributory negligence,” the Defense Declaration states:
- “[Boalag] Could not be informed to [prison staff] of any risk for your personal safety “
- “It caused the other inmate involved in the incident,”
- “He could not take reasonable measures to avoid the incident,”
- “He couldn’t properly monitor,”
- “He could not guarantee his own security,”
- “He addressed himself recklessly.”
The presentation also states that Boalag was wrong in his claim statement, saying that the incident occurred on February 12, 2023, nine days after the date referred to in Boalag’s presentations.
He also denied Boalag’s statement that he will never walk again, and put the responsibility to prove it.
Boalag was convicted of raping two women and a 15 -year -old girl in Terranova during the summer and autumn of 2012.
There were six plaintiffs in total, and the women described how they strangled them unconscious and threatened them with a knife in the streets of the city in the early hours of the morning.
He was sentenced in 2016 and declared a dangerous criminal for the courts, which resulted in an indeterminate prison sentence. He was in the Atlantic institution in Renus, NB, at the time of the incident, but since then he has been transferred to an ontarium prison.
Boalag says he was attacked behind, failed by the staff
According to the demand for Boalag, presented by the lawyer of the Halifax Laura Neilan area, the inmates were released from their cells to align by medications.
Boalag says that a man appeared behind him, and did not see the attack coming. He says that the correctional officers did not intervene in a timely manner, leaving him vulnerable to multiple stabs of a “sharp weapon.”
The demand states that the attacker was a man with “preindicators of violence” towards Boalag.
He alleges that prison staff could not prevent arms from entering the installation, they failed to look for inmates before allowing them to align and ignored internal policy by letting multiple inmates leave their cells at the same time.
In his defense declaration, the attorney general’s lawyers deny the claims, saying that “at all times material provided adequate supervision of inmates, including [Boalag]”
They also say that Boalag received “reasonable, necessary and adequate” medical assistance.
They ask a judge to dismiss his claim with the costs granted to the Federal Government.
The statements made by Boalag and the Attorney General have not yet been proven in the Court.
Download ours Free CBC news application To register with thrust alerts for CBC Newfoundland and Labrador. Click here to visit our destination page.