The condition of Pope Francis continued to improve and has not needed to use the mechanical ventilation mask to help him breathe, said the Vatican on Wednesday by indicating greater progress in his recovery of double pneumonia.
The 88 -year -old pontiff is also reducing its dependence on high flow oxygen during the day, the Vatican said in a medical bulletin. His pneumonia infection, although not completely eliminated, is under control, said the Santa Headquarters press office.
Francis concelebrated Mass on Wednesday, which is an important party day for the Catholic Church and is the anniversary of its installation as Pope 12 years ago.
Francis has been at the Gemelli Hospital in Rome since February 14 for complex lung infection that became pneumonia in both lungs. He has been receiving respiratory and physiographic physiotherapy to help strengthen his lungs.
For two nights in a row, he has not needed to use the non -invasive mechanical ventilation mask, which pumps oxygen to his lungs, and doctors said their use had been “suspended.” Francis put himself in the ventilation mask after suffering a series of respiratory crises at the end of February and early March, during which he could not expel the mucus and liquid that had accumulated in his lungs.
Suspending the use of the mask means that Francis’s lungs are working harder and better on their own.
The Vatican is also reducing its medical updates again as Francis slowly continues his recovery, and the next is not expected before Monday.
Italian President Sergio Mattarella commemorated the 12th anniversary of Francis’s installation as Pope by sending a letter praising his initiatives as Pope. Mattarella offered the best wishes for the continuation of his pontificate and “the most sincere desires for rapid recovery.”