Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif said Friday that he will call a meeting on illegal constructions in the rivers soon, since the rains of the monsoon caused catastrophic floods in the northern parts of the country.
The record rains in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, which began on August 15, have wreaked havoc in different parts of the province. Last week, the provincial government declared an emergency when torrential rains devastated the houses, moved to families and left a trace of destruction through Buner, Swat, Shangla, Mansehra and beyond with the number of deaths in 393.
Speaking during a federal cabinet meeting today, Prime Minister Shehbaz said: “I will call a meeting about illegal constructions in Ríos, such as hotels, restaurants and houses.”
He highlighted the concerns about such structures, which reflected the “catastrophic beauty”, and about the cutting of trees in Galiyat, where squares and houses have been built.
“There is no space for man -made disasters,” he said, adding that the meeting will be called on a basis of every Pakistan to discuss these issues.
The Prime Minister discussed the work of relief and rehabilitation in the areas affected by floods during the meeting, saying that the federal government has extended “total cooperation” to provincial governments, Pakistan radio reported.
Prime Minister Shehbaz also praised the efforts of the armed forces in rescue and help operations. “Pakistan’s army reached the distant and difficult areas to rescue people. For this purpose, helicopters were also used,” he said.
He mentioned his visit to the areas affected by the floods in Gilgit-Baltistan and Azad Jammu and Kashmira, highlighting the efforts of ministers and secretaries. He said: “This is a collective responsibility.”
“For how long, provincial and federal governments will continue to compensate for illegal structures?” He questioned.
The prime minister also condol the victims, stating: “More than 700 people, including more than 400 in KP lost their lives in recent rains and sudden floods,” according to Pakistan radio.
“He stressed that the responsibility of the Ministry of Climate Change has increased to deal with the issue of climate change. He said that other relevant departments will also have to play their role in it,” the report added.
The prime minister mentioned the recent “destructive rains” in Karachi at the beginning of this week. “I talked to the main minister of Sindh and (president of PPP) Bilawal Bhutto-Zardari to express my sympathies,” he said.
Prime Minister Shehbaz visited the districts affected by the floods of Swat, Buner and Shangla in KP on Wednesday, since 14 more bodies recovered from debris in Dalori de Swabi.
While interacting with the victims of the flood, he assured them the government and the unwavering commitment of the army to extend the maximum support “in this critical hour.”
On Monday, the KP government launched RS8 billion in aid funds for all affected districts, with an additional 500m specifically for worse blow.
The United Kingdom Government announces humanitarian aid for regions affected by Monzón
Separately, the United Kingdom announced £ 1.33 million in humanitarian aid to support Pakistan’s response to the devastating impact of the monzón’s rains, according to a press release.
“This financing will help more than 223,000 people in seven districts affected by flooding in Punjab, GB and KP,” said the press release.
He added that the support would allow “a wide range of emergency efforts and early recovery”, which include “the provision of dry food rations, search and rescue operations, mobile medical camps, rehabilitation of drinking water systems, restoration of irrigation channels and support for living and agriculture.”
The British high commissioner Jane Marriott was summoned by saying: “Through programs financed by the United Kingdom, vital assistance is reaching communities affected by floods and landslides.
“Working in close collaboration with national and provincial authorities and partners, the United Kingdom is still committed to strengthening the response and resilience of Pakistan’s disasters.”
She said that the United Kingdom trained 2,400 community volunteers for search and rescue operations in vulnerable districts, adding that “25 Charsadda volunteers have joined the efforts of Rescue 1122 in Buner, providing crucial help at a time when many people remain missing or trapped under rubble.”
Mobile medical camps were being installed in areas where health clinics were damaged, ensuring continuous access to essential medical care, he said.
It was also cited by saying: “Non -food items, food rations, shelter materials and dignity kits for women, are being distributed to displaced families.
“Meanwhile, the United Nations Office for the Coordinators of the Humanitarian Affairs District in Swat and Buner are helping to coordinate the work of humanitarian organizations in the field, ensuring that help is delivered effectively and efficiently.”
Additional Irfan Sadozai reports.