More than 200 candidates, mainly associated with a group of defenders of the electoral reform, have registered to function in a next federal election next month. The number doubles from the previous record into a single ballot.
The former Alberta deputy, Damien Kurek, annulled his seat in Battle River-Coot to give the conservative leader Pierre Poilievre the opportunity to join the House of Commons. Pailievre lost his former Carleton in the general elections of April.
A group known as the longest voting committee has been organizing candidates to execute in the elections in recent years in an effort to boost electoral reform.
The organizers of the committee want to put the Assembly of Citizens in charge of the electoral reform and say that the political parties are too reluctant to make the most representative government of the electorate.
Until Sunday night, 209 candidates had registered to run in Battle River-Crowfoot, exceeding the objective of the 200 Committee.
That is more than double the previous 91 record that has occurred twice in the last year: during an election in the election of Lasalle-Emard-Verdun last September and Carleton during the last general elections.
That number of candidates resulted in a ballot approximately one meter long. Mass ballots have resulted in delays in the vote counting and have confused some voters.
Canada’s elections told CBC News on Wednesday that it will end the ways to minimize long tickets interruptions.
“We are looking for ways of [simplify] Things based on recent experiences with elections that involve a higher number of candidates. We will end our plans after the deadline for candidate nominations, “said spokesman Matthew Mckenna in an email.
Elections that Canada has already had To make changes to accommodate gigantic size tickets – Mainly through early counting and bringing additional workers.
Although the longest voting committee has been organized in two elections in which Pailievre is in operation, the group has also attacked liberal strengths such as Toronto-ST. Paul’s and Lasalle-Terad-Verdun in 2024.
But the efforts of the defenders to boost the limits of a ballot have caused calls to the changes, more recently of the Pailievre itself to which it refers as a “scam.”

The conservative leader wrote a letter to the leader of the Government House Steven Mackinnon on Tuesday, asking the legislation to change the Canadian electoral rules in an effort to stop the long voting protests. A Mackinnon office spokesman said that liberals share those concerns and are open to changes.
The parliamentarians were discussing the legislation of the last parliamentary session that could have implemented some of the changes proposed by Pailievre, specifically to limit voters to sign only a nomination form. Defenders make voters sign multiple forms.
The elections, the head of Canada himself, Stéphane Perrault himself made the suggestion in front of a parliamentary committee that was studying a bill to amend the Canadian election law before Parliament was extended.
Perrault argued that “certain sanctions” should be imposed on the people who sign, or encourage others to sign, multiple nomination documents in an effort to obtain as many candidates in a ballot as possible, although he did not say what those sanctions should be.
The deadline to register as a candidate at Battle River-Crowfoot is Monday. Voters are aimed at surveys on August 18.