The operations return to normal after multiple Canadian airports faced bomb threats on Thursday morning that connected to the flights and expected to cause generalized delays, according to the air traffic control manager, Nav Canada.
In a statement published in X at 11 am et, Nav Canada praised its employees and police for their rapid response and said that airport delays could still occur.
“For the sake of security protocols, we cannot reveal the specific nature of the threat. However, we will continue working closely with the authorities as the investigation progresses,” Nav Canada wrote.
Hours before, Nav Canada had published that “he had realized the threats of bombs that affect the facilities in Ottawa, Montreal, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Calgary and Vancouver.”
“The employees in impacted places are safe, and a temporary stop has been implemented in the affected airports,” he wrote around 8:30 am et.
Nav Canada, the country’s civil navigation service, says that the service gradually resumes in multiple airports throughout the country after pump threats caused a temporary stop in the affected places. Travelers could see delays as the service resumes, the service said.
Airports, the police investigating
RCMP at Winnipeg Richardson International Airport received a bomb threat around 6:05 am CT, RCMP told CBC News in a written statement.
“The phone call declared that there was a bomb in the control tower,” said an RCMP spokesman. “The officers conducted a physical search for the tower and there were no suspicious items.”
In Vancouver, RCMP told CBC News the threat that there had been a “false report.”
Richmond RCMP received a report from a threat in the Navcy Air Traffic Control Tower of Vancouver International Airport at 2 AM PT, CPL spokesperson. Melissa Lui said in a written statement.
The tower was evacuated and threats were not located, Lui added.
“The RCMP E YVR takes the threats of this nature very seriously,” Lui said. “After the initial investigation, the researchers determined that this was a false report, and that there is no credible threat to public security.”
The Vancouver airport authority said the flights operated normally, but was aware of the incident.
Ottawa Macdonald International Airport -Cartier previously said in X that he was “investigating a security incident” and warned that operations can be interrupted. At 10:30 am et, he said that his security investigation had “completed safely and regular operations resume.”
The Ottawa police service also said in X that he was investigating a security incident at Ottawa airport.
In a statement to CBC News, Edmonton’s international airport confirmed that a “security incident” was causing a “handful of delays.”
“The security of our passengers, team members and partners is our top priority. We can confirm that a security incident had a minimum impact on operations this morning,” said a spokesman.
Calgary International Airport said that “a security incident this morning has had a minimum impact on regular operations.”
The authorities of the Montreal Airport authority said the operations there had been resumed at 7:30 am et.
An Air Canada spokesman said that “there has been a minimum impact on our operations” and advised people to verify the status of their flights.