Nexstar’s ABC affiliates will keep Jimmy Kimmel show off air for now


Nexstar Media Group said Tuesday that the ABC stations with which it has and associates will not resume the transmission of “Jimmy Kimmel Live!” Even when Disney brings the program at the national level.

“We made a decision last week to avoid ‘Jimmy Kimmel Live!’ Following what ABC referred to as the ‘evil and insensitive’ comments by Mr. Kimmel at a critical moment in our national speech, “said the company in a press release. “We take advantage of that pending guarantee that all parties are committed to fostering a respectful and constructive dialogue environment in the markets we serve.”

Nexstar’s announcement joins Sinclair, another important local television operator, who said Monday that he would not broadcast the Kimmel program.

Together, Nexstar and Sinclair represent about 70 ABC affiliates, which means that Kimmel’s return will not be available through tens of millions in the United States

Those decisions arrive after a week of tumult to Disney and its ABC network. Last week, Disney took Kimmel’s night show from his “indefinitely” alignment after Kimmel criticized the Republicans for how they were responding to conservative murder Charlie Kirk.

“The Maga gang [is] Desperately trying to characterize this child who murdered Charlie Kirk as more than one of them and doing everything possible to score political points, “Kimmel said during his show of September 15.

The president of the Federal Communications Commission Brendan Carr, later threatened to “take action” against Disney and ABC about Kimmel’s comments. But Disney’s decision to get Kimmel generated criticism from celebrities, as well as consumers. Some protested him and others announced his decision to boycott Disney.

For Monday, Disney announced that Kimmel would return on Tuesday. But the owners of the Nexstar and Sinclair station have remained firm in avoiding the show in their ABC affiliates.

The program “will be available throughout the country in multiple transmission products owned by Disney, while our stations will focus on continuing to produce local news and other relevant programs for their respective markets,” said Nexstar on Tuesday.

The situation is complicated by the main commercial movements of Sinclair and Nexstar. Sinclair is currently exploring merger options for its transmission business, which would also require the authorization of the FCC, CNBC reported.

Nexstar is looking for the approval of the FCC for a fusion of $ 6.2 billion with its partner owner of the Tegna station.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *