New MrBeast game show being investigated by Ontario’s labour ministry


Ontario’s Ministry of Labor is investigating an industrial accident on the Toronto set of “Beast Games,” the recently launched Prime Video competition series by YouTube star MrBeast.

The ministry says a worker was injured by falling wood Sept. 11 on the set, a miniature village built for the show on the grounds of the former Downsview airport.

The Ministry of Labor did not share the extent of the person’s injuries, citing the ongoing investigation, but says the employers, Blink 49 Studios and Manhattan Beach Studios, were issued a “requirement.” A ministry spokesman did not say what that was.

Neither company responded to requests for comment, nor did Prime Video.

Toronto police say they were also called to the set that day, but the incident is not criminal in nature, so they are not investigating.

An investigation published by Rolling Stone last week containing broader allegations about conditions on the set reported that a worker was injured on 9/11 when “a six-foot by six-foot piece of the exterior of the tower fell on a member of the crew.” equipment while the set was being put away,” but the Ministry of Labor did not confirm those details.

“Beast Games” is the latest release from Jimmy Donaldson, whose MrBeast YouTube channel has 340 million subscribers – the most of any user on the video-sharing platform.

The 26-year-old from Kansas made a name for himself online by attempting outlandish stunts and giving away staggering amounts of money.

In the Prime Video series that premiered earlier this month, a thousand people compete for the chance to win $5 million. Many of the challenges require contestants to sacrifice their own chance at winning the money or that of a teammate.

The show has already been dogged by controversy. In September, five anonymous participants in an initial test filmed in Las Vegas for Donaldson’s YouTube channel filed a lawsuit against the creator and his production company.

They accused Donaldson of creating “unsafe” working conditions, including sexual harassment, and misrepresenting contestants’ chances of winning.

In a post on social media platform


This report by The Canadian Press was first published Dec. 30, 2024.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *