Myanmar’s military government announces elections for December 28 | Elections News


The Electoral Commission announces the date for the first phase of the widely viewed elections as they lack credibility.

The Myanmar Military Government has announced that the promised elections for a long time will begin on December 28 amid a generalized skepticism that the authorities will allow a free and fair vote.

The Electoral Commission of the Union said Monday that the vote would be the first phase in the general elections of “step by step”.

“More dates will be announced for the subsequent steps of the elections accordingly,” said the Electoral Commission.

State media said about 55 parties had been registered for surveys, including nine that would compete for seats throughout the country.

The announcement occurs after the Myanmar Military Administration, directed by Min Aung Hlaing, last month declared the end of an emergency for parts of the country in preparation for the elections in December and January.

The Minister Hlaing administration imposed an emergency rule to Myanmar after eliminating the democratically chosen government of Aung San Suu Kyi in a 2021 coup d’etat.

The opposition groups, including the National League of Democracy of Licing San Suu Kyi, have pledged to boycott the elections, seeing them as a farce aimed at reinforcing the power of Min Conit Hlaing.

Myanmar has been attacked by the Civil War since the coup, with great stripes of the country controlled by several rebel groups, including the Popular Defense Force, the Arakan Army and the Ta’ang National Liberation Army.

The country of Southeast Asia celebrated the elections for the last time in November 2020.

After the National League for Democracy swept the survey in a landslide, the army said that the vote was contaminated by a generalized fraud before arresting Aung San Suu Kyi and many other democratically chosen leaders.

Independent electoral monitoring groups, including the Asian network for free elections and the Carter Center, have dismissed the statements of generalized fraud and said that the result was widely in line with the public’s wishes.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *