It is expected that the Chief of the Junta de Myanmar trip to Bangkok on Thursday for a regional summit, since the number of deaths by the devastating earthquake in his country spent 3,000.
Min Aung Hlaing will join a BimStec meeting, the seven coastal nations of Bengala Bay, where the response to the magnitude 7.7 on Friday that has flattened buildings throughout the country will increase.
Many nations have sent help and teams of rescue workers to Myanmar from the earthquake, but the infrastructure and very damaged irregular communications, as well as the country’s rumbling civil war, have hindered efforts.
Myanmar has been involved in a brutal conflict on several sides since 2021, when the military power of Min Cong Hlaing of the Civil Government of Aung San Suu Kyi.
After the reports of sporadic clashes even after the recent earthquake, the Board joined its opponents on Wednesday to temporarily call hostilities to allow relief to be delivered.
AFP The journalists saw stirred scenes on Wednesday in the city of Sagaing, less than 15 kilometers from the epicenter, as hundreds of desperate people aligned for the distribution of emergency supplies.
The roads that lead to the city were full of traffic on Thursday, many of the vehicles that form the convoys of help organized by civil volunteers and adorned with banners that said where they had been sent from all over Myanmar.
The destruction in the saga is generalized, since the World Health Organization (WHO) reports that one in three houses has collapsed.
Almost a week after the earthquake, the locals have complained about the lack of help.
“We have a water well, but we have no fuel for the water pump,” said Aye Thikar AFP.
“We don’t know how long we will be without electricity,” he said.
The 63 -year -old nun has been helping to distribute aid funds to those left without basic services for Friday’s earthquake.
But many people still need mosquito networks and blankets, forced to sleep outside for the tremors who destroyed their homes or severely damaged them.
“People who go along the way have generously donated water and food. We trust only in their kindness,” he said.
Eyes at the summit
It is expected that all the main leaders of the seven members of BimStec, Bangladesh, Bután, India, Myanmar, Nepal, Sri Lanka and Thailand, attend the Bangkok summit.
The host country Thailand has proposed that leaders issue a joint statement on the impact of disaster when they meet on Friday, a week after the day the earthquake arrived.
The assistance of Min Cong Hlaing is a kind of diplomatic coup d’etat for the isolated government of Myanmar, since the summit breaks with a regional policy not to invite the leaders of the Board to important events.
His expected arrival in the Thai capital occurs when the number of the earthquake last week exceeds 3,000 people, according to the Board figures.
A statement from a Board spokesman said Thursday that 3,085 deaths had been confirmed, with 341 missing people and 4,715 wounds.
Rescue and help workers had arrived from 17 countries, added Zaw Min Tun, with almost 1,000 tons of supplies and help materials.
“We have continued the search and rescue work, we would like to express special gratitude for the hard work of the international community and medical teams,” he said.
Bangkok, hundreds of kilometers from the earthquake epicenter, also suffered isolated damage.
The number of deaths in the city has increased to 22, with more than 70 not yet accounted for at the site of a building collapse.
A 30 -story skyscraper, under construction at that time, was reduced to a pile of debris in seconds when the tremors beat, catching dozens of workers.
Rescuers are still touring the immense pile of rubble, but the probability of finding more survivors is decreasing.
The governor of Bangkok, Chadchart Sittipunt, said in a live broadcast on Thursday morning that he was “waiting for a miracle, but does not wait too much, since there is also a great possibility of disappointment.”