Montenegro shooting: Several killed, police and media say


PODGORICA, Montenegro –

Several people were killed in a shooting on Wednesday in the Montenegrin town of Cetinje, police and local media said. The shooter is at large.

Police sent special troops to search for the armed shooter in Cetinje, about 30 kilometers (18 miles) northwest of the capital, Podgorica.

A statement said the man opened fire in a bar and fled the scene armed. Police identified the shooter only by his initials AM and said he was 45 years old.

The police did not provide further details. State television RTCG said seven people were killed in the shooting that followed a bar fight.

“Armed, he (the shooter) left the scene and fled,” the statement said.

The RTCG report identified the man as Aco Martinovic, saying he was known for his erratic behavior and had been arrested in the past for illegal weapons possession. The television posted the suspect’s photo on its website.

The report says he went home to get his gun and returned to the bar where he opened fire, killing and wounding several people. He then went to another location where he killed the bar owner’s children and a woman, the report added.

Authorities did not immediately provide the number of fatalities.

Police asked residents to remain calm and stay in their homes, ruling out a confrontation between criminal gangs.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *