The mother of the shooter who opened fire on Wednesday at a Catholic School in Minneapolis during the morning Mass has hired a criminal defense lawyer, since the police say they have not been able to communicate with her.
Minneapolis police chief Brian O’Hara said that Robin Westman’s family has been cooperating with the researchers, but they have not yet located his mother, Mary Grace Westman. Records show that your residence is in Florida.
He said that researchers have conducted dozens of interviews with the family, friends and associates of the shooter, and have talked to the shooter’s father.
“I know we have not yet been successful in talking to the shooter’s mother at this time,” O’Hara said at a press conference on Thursday.
Mary Grace Westman’s lawyer, Ryan Garry, told NBC News on Thursday that he had no comments at this time. The FBI and the Police Department did not immediately respond to a request for comments on Friday.
Authorities often seek to talk to the families of mass shooters while investigating a reason. In a high profile case after a shooting in 2021 in Oxford High School in Michigan, the parents of the shooter Ethan Crumblary were accused and condemned by involuntary homicide.
James and Jennifer Crumblary were sentenced in April 2024 to 10 to 15 years in prison. His son declared himself guilty and was sentenced to life imprisonment.
Police have not said if Mary Grace Westman or a family member potentially face charges. O’Hara told journalists on Thursday that the department will continue trying to talk to the shooter’s mother.
Wednesday’s uproar took place just before 8:30 am local time at the Annunciation Catholic School after the authorities say the 23 -year -old shot through the church windows. A reason is still clear.
Fletcher Merkel, 8, and Harper Moyski, 10, were killed. Another fifteen children, from 6 to 15 years old, were injured, as well as three adult parishioners in their 80s.
Until Thursday morning, two of the victims remained in critical condition, said a hospital official.
The shooter used three different firearms to carry out the attack, according to a press release on Thursday. Police said 116 rifle caps, three shotgun caps and a living gun round recovered in the scene.
Video surveillance seems to confirm that the shooter did not enter the church.
“The practice of locking the doors once the Mass began probably prevented a worse incident,” said a police press statement. “At the same time, the suspect tried to barriche a door from the outside, avoiding the exit of the Church.”
The shooter, who was a trans woman, died for suicide after the shooting. The authorities said the shooter had been a student at the Annunciation Catholic School, and that his mother had worked there.
Four search warrants have been executed in the Church, as well as in southern Minneapolis, Richfield and St. Louis Park, police said. The researchers have gathered hundreds of evidence, including electronics and writings, police said.