Man wrongly linked to child sex ring sues RCMP for ‘tunnel vision’ during investigation


A man falsely linked to a sexual exploitation and traffic ring in a city in southern Manitoba last year is now demanding the police, claiming that it took too long to verify easily attainable information that cleared his name.

Scott Joseph Taylor, 35, was one of the seven people accused of RCMP last year after an investigation that alleged adolescents were attracted to perform sexual acts about men in exchange for drugs and money in Portage La Prairie.

He is now demanding from the RCMP and the Attorney General of Canada for alleged negligence, according to the declaration of claim filed on Friday at the King Court of Manitoba.

Although the charges against Taylor were removed about two weeks after his arrest, he says that being linked to the traffic ring led to physical and verbal abuse against him that included death threats, as well as the words “certified fart” painted in his home, says the demand.

None of the accusations has been tested in court. Defense statements have not yet been submitted.

Taylor says he was preparing to go to a range of weapons with friends on July 4, 2024, five days before the police publicly link him with the trafficking ring, when Mounties hit his door, according to the demand.

Initially he was accused of insecure storage of a firearm and obtain sexual services of a person under 18.

Taylor was chained and interrogated in his local RCMP detachment, says the demand. He was arrested at the station for about three days before being released on bail.

Contradictory details

Taylor learned that someone had identified a suspect named “Scott Taylor” to the police, describing him as having a beard, employed in the Canadian National Railroad, driving a CNR truck and having lived with his mother for a period of time, says the demand.

However, Taylor says that he has not had a beard for more than two decades, has never worked for CNR or has driven one of his trucks, never lived with the plaintiff’s mother, and did not associate with the other accused people, the facts that, they say, were easily attainable and verifiable.

There was no direct or reasonable evidence that he linked Taylor with the traffic ring, and circumstantial evidence did not justify his arrest or detention, his demand affirms, adding that his arrest, detention and prison by the RCMP were not legally justified.

Taylor says that his lawyer informed a crown prosecutor that the RCMP made a mistake, and provided a photo of Taylor so that he could share with the person who shared his name with the researchers.

Taylor says that someone painted the words “Certificate” at home after RCMP announced the charges against him. (Sent by Scott Taylor)

The charges against Taylor were withdrawn before the court on July 19, 2024, approximately two weeks after his arrest, but says that the prosecutor of the crown and the RCMP “failed, denied or neglected” to remove the charges quick enough.

He also states that he was intentionally confined against his will.

RCMP did not consider the community of the name of Taylor, and that those involved in the type of crimes that was accused may not have used their real names with the victims, as well as other details that arose from the person who called him, says the demand.

RCMP used “tunnel vision” in his taylor investigation, alleges his demand.

Taylor alleges that the police was negligent during their arrest and detention, that the officers acted aggressive and threatening towards him, and that the police took too much to verify the information provided that he showed that he was not involved in the traffic ring.

It also accuses the RCMP of defamation and defamation, saying that it has not yet received an apology.

He had been clean and sober for three years before his arrest, but began to drink again later, he alleges Taylor’s demand. He was later accused of his third deteriorated driving offense, which made him lose his job.

It has been difficult, if not impossible, for Taylor to find another job due to the publication of his name in relation to trafficking, says his demand.

He suffered a serious emotional and psychological anguish, as well as irreparable damage to his personal and professional life, and had to flee from Portage la Prairie to hide from the public for fear of their safety, according to demand.

Taylor seeks general, special and punitive damage, as well as damage to mental anguish.

CBC News has communicated with the RCMP Office and the Attorney General to Comment.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *