Kilmar Abrego Garcia has been released from federal prison in Tennessee

Kilmar Abrego García, the man who was unfairly deported to a prison in El Salvador and accused of being a member of the MS-13 gang, was released from federal custody on Friday afternoon after the 30-day pause of a judge in his release expired.

The magistrate judge of the United States, Barbara Holmes, in the Middle District of Tennessee, ordered the liberation of Abrego from a prison from the Nashville area on Friday, where it was held since its June release from the Cecot prison in El Salvador.

Abrego is on his way to his family in Maryland, Sean Hecker, one of Abrego’s lawyers, said in a statement.

Abrego was “arrested and illegally deported, and then imprisoned, all due to the vindictive attack of the government against a man who had the courage to fight against the continuous assault of the administration to the rule of law,” said Hecker.

Abrego’s lawyers requested the 30 -day break that prevented their client from walking free last month for fear that it could be arrested by federal immigration officers and customs compliance in their release.

That decision followed two others that aimed to protect Abrego.

In July, American district judge Waverly Crenshaw in Nashville, Tennessee, sought to free Abrego. At that time, Croww denied a government motion to block his release, writing that the Trump administration could not provide evidence that Abrego must remain detained or that he is a risk of escape.

Also last month, the American district judge Paula Xinis in Maryland ruled that the United States government “will restore Abrego García to her ice supervision order outside the Baltimore field office.”

Xinis said that his order that Abrego García is placed under the supervision of ice in Maryland, where he lived with his wife and children before being deported by error in March, is necessary to “provide the type of effective relief to which an unjustly retired foreigner has the right to return.”

The July order, which also requires that the Government provide 72 hours of prior notice if it intends to deport Abrego García to a third country, is “limited” to allow the Trump administration to start “legal immigration procedures” at the return of Abrego García to Maryland.

The Abrego’s case has become a topic of central conversation in the deportation efforts of the Trump administration after a long -trip legal saga.

Born in El Salvador, Abrego’s lawyers said previously that he illegally emigrated to the United States when he was 16 to join his brother in Maryland for fear of gang violence in his country of origin.

First he was deported to Cecot, the notorious mega prison in El Salvador, in March, in what the government called an “administrative error.”

The deportation in conflict directly in conflict with the ruling of a judge of 2019 that Abrego was not deported to the country and came after the Local Police detained and accused of being a member of MS-13, a gang of international crime. He was not delivered to ice in that case, and his family and friends have repeatedly denied their participation in the group.

Abrego was returned to the US. In June and immediately federally accused of conspiracy to illegally transport illegal foreigners to obtain financial gains and illegal transport of illegal foreigners to obtain financial gains in Nashville.

He declared himself innocent of both positions. A trial by criminal jury in Tennessee for the positions of trafficking of persons remains scheduled for January.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *