The Israeli army carried out an air attack at the Main Airport of Yemen in Sanaa on Tuesday, its second attack in two days in huti fighters after an increase in tensions between the group and Israel.
Three people were killed in the strike, according to Houthi-Run Al-Masirah TV.
Israel warned people to leave the area around the Sanaa International Airport before Tuesday’s attack, which he went to the Hutí infrastructure already “totally disabled at the airport.” Later, witnesses reported four strikes in the capital.
The tensions have been high since Gaza’s conflict began, but they have increased even more since an Huthí missile landed near Ben Gurion airport in Israel on Sunday, which caused Israeli attacks in the Hodeidah port of Yemen on Monday.
“Recently, the FDI’s combat aircraft (Israel Defense Forces) beat and dismantled the Hutí terrorist infrastructure at the main airport of Sanaa, completely disabled the airport,” said the Israeli army.
“The strike was carried out in response to the attack launched by the Houthi terrorist regime against Ben Gurion airport. The flight clues, airplanes and infrastructure at the airport were called.”
Three airport sources said Reuters That the attacks attacked three civil planes, the exits, the airport track and an military air base under the Houthi control.
The Israeli army said the airport had been “a central center for the Hutí terrorist regime to transfer weapons and operational.”
In a statement carried by Al-MasirahThe Hutis said: “The operations of our Armed Forces will continue and the support of Yemen to Palestine will only end with the end of the aggression and the siege against Gaza.”
The special envoy of the United Nations for Yemen Hans Grundberg said in X that the latest hostilities “mark a serious escalation in a regional and volatile regional context.”
An official at Yemenia Airways Yemena aircraft Reuters that three of its planes were destroyed according to an initial evaluation.
Separately, President Donald Trump said that the United States would stop bombing the hutis after the group agreed to stop interrupting important shipping lanes in the Middle East.
At a meeting of the Oval office with Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney, Trump announced that the Hutis no longer want to fight, but did not give details about the message.
“They said they don’t bombard us anymore and we are not going to attack their ships,” Trump said.
There was no immediate response from the hutis.
The president of the United States said that Washington would take the word of the hutis that the ships would no longer be flying.
‘Resistance axis’
The Hutis have triggered Israel and shipping at the Red Sea since Israel began their military offensive against Hamas in Gaza after the attack of the group against Israel on October 7, 2023.
The Hutis say they are doing it in solidarity with the Palestinians and have continued with attacks in response to Israel expanding their military operations in the Gaza Strip.
The Hutis said Sunday that they would impose an “integral” air blocking to Israel by repeatedly attacking their airports.
The sixty percent of Yemenis live under the control of the Hutis, a resistant group that resisted years of bombings led by Saudi during the devastating Civil War of the country.
The hutis are part of the “resistance axis” of Iran against the Israeli and American interests in the Middle East, which also includes hezbollah of Hamas and Lebanon.
While Israel has weakened these groups killing the main leaders and destroying military infrastructure since Gaza’s conflict began, the Hutíes remain a force to take into account.
Israeli attacks around Hodeidah killed four people on Monday and wounded 39, said the Ministry of Health led by Houthi.
The Israeli prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, had promised to retaliate after the missile launched by the Houthi landed near Ben Gurion airport and led to European and American airlines to cancel flights.