Lindsay’s man, Ontario, accused in a robbery at dawn last week, exercised a crossbow in the incident and was on probation at that time, according to judicial documents presented on Wednesday.
The violent episode on August 18, which led to established positions against the alleged intruder, Michael Kyle Breen, and the resident of the house, Jeremy David McDonald, triggered a debate between Canada on what constitutes a legal self -defense.
According to a 41 -year -old Breen sheet, he destroyed a window and a screen at the McDonald’s house in Lindsay, part of the city of Kawartha Lakes, in Ontario Cottage Country. Breen is accused of four positions, which include breaking and entering and carrying a weapon, the crossbow, to commit a crime.
There was a fight after theft and the police said that the alleged intruder was so seriously injured that he had to be transferred by plane to a Toronto hospital.
McDonald, 44, is accused of aggravated assault and assault with a weapon, supposedly a knife.
Two men knew each other
Two acquaintances of Breen told CBC News separately that the two men knew before theft, and the judicial documents list the residence of Breen as an address less than 600 meters from the department of McDonald’s.
Kawartha Lakes police and McDonald’s lawyer Steven Norton previously refused to say if there was any connection between the two men.
The news that McDonald was being accused in the case turned off the reaction throughout the country and questions about whether Canadians have the right to defend themselves from an intruder.
A man faces assault charges after allegedly inflicting injuries that threaten life in an intruder in his home in Lindsay, Ontario. The case has triggered questions about the limits of self -defense in the Canadian law.
Prime Minister Doug Ford suggested at the time when the positions established against McDonald showed “something is broken.”
“I know that if someone breaks into my house or that of another person, you will fight for your life,” Ford told reporters last Wednesday. “This guy has a weapon … you will use any force that you can to protect your family.”
In an event in Inglewood, Ontario, today, Ford said that part of the problem is also that “the judges continue to let people out” and said that “it would be in all the prime minister on the reform of the bond.”
The previous judicial records reviewed by CBC News Show Breen had multiple clashes with the law, including charges of breach of a probation order and not attending the Court.
Legal experts have clarified that self -defense is legal in Canada, but that it must be “reasonable.”
The criminal lawyer Tonya Kent told CBC News that if, for example, someone assaults another person by pushing her, that person cannot pick up a baseball bat and start beating them and claim self -defense.
“That is not a reasonable force,” Kent said.
The criminal defense lawyer, Tonya Kent, describes what would be “reasonable” and what could be considered excessive force when it comes to defending an aggressor. She says there is the right to self -defense in Canada: it must simply be proportional.
The Lindsay Police Association, which represents the members of the Kawartha Lakes Police Force, said in a statement on social networks last week that “before presenting criminal charges, our members carry out an exhaustive investigation to ensure that the charges are aligned with the available evidence and the Canada Criminal Code.”
Public records show that Breen made their first appearance in court in the case on Wednesday, while McDonald is scheduled to appear in a Lindsay court room on September 25.
The lawyer of McDonald’s Norton said previously that his client “maintains his innocence and was acting within his rights to defend himself and his property.”