Harvey Weinstein jury resumes deliberations after partial conviction, infighting – World

The jury members will meet on Thursday at Harvey Weinsteins Sex Crime’s trial, one day after they issued a partial conviction against the old magnate of the film, but reached a dead point in a violation count, since the deliberations became angry internal struggles.

Weinstein, once one of Hollywood’s most powerful figures, faced a new trial that began on April 23 after a state court of appeals last year revoked his 2020 sentence.

He was accused of prosecutors in the case of violating an aspiring actress and assaulting two other women.

Weinstein, 73, declared herself innocent and has denied assaulting anyone or having not agreed.

The jury found Weinstein guilty of one of the three positions he faced, who derived from his alleged assault of former production assistant Miriam Haley in 2006. The jury found Weinstein not guilty of a position derived from her alleged assault of Kaja Sokola in 2002 when she was a 16 -year -old aspiring actress.

The jury has not yet reached a verdict in a third count, which accuses him of violating the candidate for actress Jessica Mann in 2013.

In a surprising development on Wednesday, the Foreperson jury told the judge of the Supreme Court Curtis Farber that other members of the panel shouted and threatened to refuse to change his vote on the violation count.

Farber sent the jury members home for the day to give them time to cool off and told the Freeperson to arrive at the Court separately on Thursday.

Weinstein’s lawyers moved unsuccessfully for a null trial, arguing that the collapse in the jury room would contaminate any verdict.

Regardless of the eventual verdict on the position of rape, Weinstein faces up to 25 years in prison when he is sentenced. He has been sentenced separately to 16 years in prison after a rape sentence in California.

At the end of arguments on June 3, the Prosecutor’s Office told the 12 jurors that the evidence showed how Weinstein used his power and influence to catch and abuse women.

The defense replied that the accusers lied in the witness stand out for the resentment after their sexual meetings agreed with the Oscar -winning producer failed to give rise to Hollywood stardom.

A jury found Weinstein guilty in February 2020 to violate Mann and sexually assault Haley. Sokola’s accusation was not part of that case.

The conviction was a milestone for the #MeToo movement, which encouraged women to present accusations of inappropriate sexual behavior by powerful men.

But the New York Court of Appeals, the highest court in the State, expelled that sentence in April 2024. He said that the judge of first instance made an error by allowing women to testify that Weinstein had assaulted them, although their accusations were not the basis of criminal charges.

Although the conviction was expelled, Weinstein, who has had a litany of health problems in recent years and attended the new trial in a wheelchair, has remained behind bars due to his conviction in California. This verdict is appealing.

More than 100 women, including the famous actresses, have accused Weinstein of misconduct.

He co -founded the Miramax Studio, whose successful films included the winners of the Academy awards as “Shakespeare in Love” and “Pulp Fiction”. Weinsteins, the homonymous film study itself declared bankruptcy in March 2018, five months after accusations of inappropriate sexual behavior against it were widely published.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *