Halfway through Ontario election campaign, some parties still developing platforms


As the Ontario Winter electoral campaign reaches halfway, the main opponents of progressive conservatives are still struggling to launch voters, while surveys suggest that the headlines maintain a significant advantage.

The progressive conservative leader Doug Ford described the early vote for February 27, more than a year before the next fixed election date, in which some observers say it was a strategic movement destined to catch their rivals at a disadvantage.

Ford has said that his government needs an even greater mandate of the inhabitants of Ontario before imminent and four years of US President Donald Trump.

But other party leaders have accused Ford of calling the instant elections for their own benefit, calling it unnecessary and a loss of money.

Liberal leader Bonnie Crombie acknowledged last week to discover when a choice could come was difficult.

“I was reflecting on the calls.

In the period prior to winter, Ford had constantly refused to rule out a 2025 vote.

Although some anticipated a choice in spring, the window for a provincial contest seemed to limit itself quickly after Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced that he would resign as a liberal leader and the federal parliament prorogado until the end of March, after which a federal election It seemed almost safe.

The progressive conservative leader of Ontario, Doug Ford, speaks with journalists, accompanied by other members of the Federation Council, at the Mayflower hotel in Washington, DC on Wednesday. (Ben Curtis/The Associated Press)

It was widely expected that Ford would not risk having an election at the same time, and the American tariffs he tested by road as a reason for the vote threatened to arrive at the beginning of the New Year.

The call at the end of January gave opposition parties even less time than they could have expected to unite a platform and convince voters that it is time for a change.

Philippe Fournier, survey analyst, said the brief campaign period was a clear strategic movement of Ford.

“There is no doubt that it was by design that the PCs decided to have the duration of the minimum length for this choice,” said Fournier, who serves as a 338anada chief editor, a website of votes and votes analysis.

Greens are just a great party to launch a expensive platform

The four main games have announced a complete list of candidates, with the NDP reaching that milestone more than a week in the campaign, the liberals last weekend and the green this week.

Crombie leader and the NDP Marit Stiles, seen as the main competitors of Ford, made several ads in the first two weeks of the elections that did not include details about how much the measures cost the taxpayers.

Crombie has said that his party needs to do a little more work to fully develop its platform, since it has been “a bit abrupt to cost everything.”

She said at a press conference on Wednesday that she would soon launch the full party platform. The NDP has said the same.

Meanwhile, the leader of the Green Party, Mike Schreiner, is the first and only leader to launch a fully expensive platform.

“We want to be honest and transparent with the people of this province, because that is the type of government they deserve,” Schreiner said in an event of launching the platform on Wednesday.

Look | Green Party launched a completely cost this week:

Ontario’s Green Party Liberations of the Costa Platform of Electoral Promises

The Ontario Greens are the first important political party in launching a expensive platform of electoral promises. Lane Harrison de CBC breaks down what the leader of the Green Party, Mike Schreiner, commits the inhabitants of Ontario before the vote on February 27.

Kayla Iafelice, a conservative political strategist, is not buying the argument that the moment of Snap’s choice is the reason why opposition parties have not completely developed their plans.

“There had been enough time that there were going to be early elections,” said Iafelice, former Ford spokesman. “Anyone who has worked in politics and anyone who understands politics knows … you can work and start being prepared.”

Iafelice acknowledged that both the NDP and the liberals seem to lack the “infrastructure” that they need to quickly respond to a situation like this, and do not have the number of people behind the scene to gather a comprehensive platform.

“I think part of the problem why these completely expensive and completely detailed platforms do not have is mainly a resource problem,” he said in a telephone interview.

Ford has not launched a completely cost for the PCs.

But as Prime Minister, he has had control over the provincial budget during his ownership, and his government would have been preparing a provincial budget totally cost for its launch in early 2025.

Surveys project a progressive conservative victory

Fournier, the electoral analyst, said that the commitment to early elections seems to be paying off.

“Since the campaign began, we have not seen clear trends than Doug Ford PCs should win a majority sliding majority in Queen’s Park if the numbers are maintained.”

Fournier said that, according to the added analysis of recent surveys, it is projected that PCs earn about 45 percent of popular votes and keep around 100 seats.

He said that at this time it is difficult to determine whether the NDP or the liberals will have the advantage when it comes to forming the official opposition.

Look | The bet of Ford’s early elections has not exploded in his face, “says the expert:

What surveys say in the period prior to Ontario elections

The leader of the PC, Doug Ford, leads the provincial electoral campaign, but how much? Voting expert Eric Grenier breaks down the last numbers.

While it is projected that the liberals have the advantage over the NDP in the popular vote, to the midpoint, there is the possibility that they divide the vote while the PC win “almost everything,” said Fournier.

The contest, which according to the Ontario elections will cost up to $ 189 million, will see the voters who go to the polls in a rare winter choice.

If the NDP, the liberals and the greens were trapped by surprise, that is even more the case of the average voter.

Lydia Miljan, a professor of Political Science at the University of Windsor, told the Canadian press earlier this month that Ford’s decision to call an election almost 1 1/2 years before the fixed date catches the inhabitants of the “unsuspecting” ontians.

The brief campaign prior to a February vote, when some people may be traveling for winter vacations and others, depending on the weather, can be less motivated to make the trip to their local voting station, could reduce the participation of voters, said.

There has been a minimum fanfare during the first half of the electoral campaign. The campaign events of all parties have been maintained at organized numbers, and none has celebrated large -scale manifestations or events full of people.

The debates of the leaders are scheduled for the awkward times of the afternoon of Valentine’s Day and the night of the family day.

But for Iafelice, there is little excuse for the opposition to have a silent response to this opportunity.

“When you are an opposition party, your goal is to have a very clear agenda of what you are checking against the government, it is your work to ensure that the inhabitants of Ontarios know what the alternative is and keep the government under control,” she said.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *