• More than 50 houses destroyed in Kondus Landslide
• Television Anchor, family among 15 dreaded swear in Babusar
• Partial reopening of Babusar Road expected today
Gilgit: People displaced by sudden floods in multiple areas of Gilgit-Baltistan have complained of severe scarcity of drinking water, electricity, access to the road and communication services.
The survivors in the valleys of Babusar and Thore of Diamer said that one of the most mortal floods in recent memory, which left many homeless people and swept their belongings.
In the Gilgit region, thousands of residents in the areas of Danyor and Sultanabad remained without drinking water for three consecutive days after a sudden flood of Danyor Nallah damaged the main supply pipe and several irrigation channels.
Speaking to journalists, the elderly of the area led by former GB Minister Muhammad Iqbal, said the government had not been able to restore the interrupted water supply despite the repeated guarantees.
They said that although the residents had managed to temporarily restore the pipe, the subsequent floods destroyed it again. Restoration work has not been initiated, they lamented and gave an ultimatum one day to the government so that the action or launch protests.
Meanwhile, the residents of Kondus and Haldi in the district of Ghanche also complained about the lack of supplies of relief, electricity, drinking water and access to the road.
A devastating landslide in Kondus swept more than 50 homes, leaving dozens of homeless families and urgent need for food, shelter, medical care and emergency services. The locals also regretted the lack of availability of the Internet, which makes it even more difficult to communicate or ask for help.
In the Shigar district, sudden floods reached the areas of Tisar and Garchahma. Resident Saxid Ali said that electricity had been out during the last three or four days and that many families had evacuated their homes in search of a safer land. Drinking water was not available either, he added.
People in the jutal regions and other regions affected by the floods of Gilgit-Baltistan also complained about the lack of basic facilities and criticized the government for their slow response and its inability to offer timely relief.
’15 Tourists swept ‘
Meanwhile, a private television presenter, her husband and her four children are also among tourists who reported missing in Babusar Valley, emerged on Sunday.
Gilgit-Baltistan government spokesman Faizullah Faraq said that the family of a language television channel had contacted the authorities, informing that she, her husband and her four children disappeared during the recent sudden floods.
Faraq said they had recovered a wallet belonging to the anchor, adding that the body of an unidentified woman was recovered from the Indo River in the Chilas mine area. It is believed that the woman is among tourists who were dragged by sudden floods on the Babusar road.
He said that according to the stories of eyewitnesses, between 10 and 15 tourists were dragged by floods on the Babusar road. So far, seven bodies have been recovered.
“The search for the remaining missing persons is in progress with the help of dogs and drones and Diamer police personnel, Rescue 1122, the Pakistan army and the GB explorers participate in the operation,” he said, and added that the effort would continue until all the missing persons are found.
He said that additional rescue operations were also underway in Ghanche, Ghizer and Gilgit. Human remains also recovered during a search operation in the Diamer area of Thak Bhasha, and DNA tests for identification will be required.
Federal Secretary of Communications and Works Sher Alam Masood visited the Babusar road site in Chilas along with local officials to assess the damage.
He told the media that restoration efforts using heavy machinery were ongoing, with the road blocked in 15 locations and a partial authorization achieved in 13 of them. I expected the road to be partially reopened for traffic on Monday (today).
Posted in Dawn, July 28, 2025