Former Oromocto First Nation chief, 8 others, to stand trial on assault, break and enter charges


A judge ruled that the former head of the first nation of Oromoctis, Shelley Sabattis, and eight coacked will be judged by assault, rupture and entrance charges.

Judge Natalie Leblanc told a Chamber of the Fredericton court on Tuesday that there was “clear and convincing evidence” that the nine people acted “in concert towards a common goal.”

Nine people are accused of assault, breaking and entering the house of Anthony O’Blenis and Sonya Atwin in Welamukotuk, also known as the First Nation Oromoct. Sabattis was boss at the time of the alleged incident.

Sabattis’s son, Allan Sabattis-Atwin, who is a former councilor of the community, is also one of the defendants.

All the defendants appeared in the Court on Tuesday and were represented by the lawyers Sabrina Winters and Mathieu Boutet.

Leblanc’s decision is produced after a preliminary hearing held last month in which the crown presented evidence. All evidence heard at that hearing is protected under a prohibition of publication to avoid the influence of futures jurors.

The defense said that evidence is insufficient to justify a trial.

Leblanc, however, said the court “listened to not accounted for.”

“This court has no choice but to conclude that the nine people are parts of both groups of crimes,” Leblanc said before announcing his decision to send the case to trial.

“There is clear and convincing evidence that the parties were acting in concert towards a common goal.”

The proof date has not yet been established.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *