The prohibition of Ontario on American alcohol will remain until the president of the United States, Donald Trump, eliminates tariffs on Canadian goods or when the two countries reach a new free trade agreement, which could be a long time, Prime Minister Doug Ford warned Wednesday.
Ford has adopted a hard line posture in the current commercial war with Trump. In March, the Prime Minister ordered the Ontario Liquor Control Board to withdraw the alcohol from the shelves and prohibit future sales as a direct response to the first set of Trump tariffs on Canadian goods.
Alcohol prohibition will probably play a role in the next negotiations on a new Free Trade Agreement in North America, Ford insinuated.
“If there is an agreement, another USMCA agreement, which I do not think it happens during the next months, but you never know with President Trump, he could take the carpet from under us in an instant as he has done before, or they free themselves from their rates and then we will bring the Boze to the LCBO, and if they do not, then they do not cover themselves on our shelves,” for sayings. “
Last week, Prime Minister Mark Carney announced that he would eliminate retaliation rates from the assets of the United States that are covered by the Canadian-Usxico agreement, a position disagree with Ford.
Canada imposed 25 percent tariffs on a long list of American goods in March, including oranges, alcohol, motorcycles and cosmetics. Carney said it was a different moment in negotiations with Americans and that a different tactic was needed.
The pollutations remain
Canada’s opposite on steel, aluminum and automobiles. Tariffs on cars are usually aligned with the United States, but Canada’s counter-tarifa on steel and aluminum remain 25 percent, although the United States increases its 50 percent rate in June.
Trump increased tariffs in Canada to 35 percent in early August, and the White House said the Fentanyl flow through the border and retaliation rates were behind the increase. These duties do not apply to the goods that comply with Cusma.
Five months have passed since the American alcohol was taken from the shelves of Ontario. Now, with the final feces of first -class bourbons at premium prices in Toronto, bars are throwing local deceptions.
Ford has firmly maintained in a dollar retaliation per dollar in Trump’s rates, but minimized any disagreement with Carney.
“I simply believe that when we are arguing 50 percent in our steel and everyone using Canada as a landfill for steel, we have to make changes,” Ford said.
“We are arguing them 25 percent, it is fair.
Canadian alcohol sales
The prohibition of American alcohol has been a blessing to Canadian alcohol.
Ford said Ontario wines sales have increased by 67 percent. In the three months that followed the ban, Ontario and Canadian alcohol sales increased by 19 percent in the LCBO, the figures provided by the Ontario Finance Minister.
The Liquor Board in Quebec was contemplating the prohibited dumping the American alcohol that was expiring, but the Minister of Finance, Eric Girard, recently told the Board to donate alcohol to charity.
Ford said there are still no plans in Ontario to destroy American alcohol.
“We still have a few months before something expires and we will take it from there,” he said.
Ford’s office later said less than one percent of American alcohol has expired and another percent will not expire for another decade.
The liberal parliamentary leader, John Fraser, said that the alcohol prohibition should be used by the federal government at the negotiating table, but Ford is not part of the negotiation team and that its difficult talk about Trump is all for appearances.
“Everything is a spectacle and no mass,” said Fraser.