The PC leader, Doug Ford, was captured in a video after a press conference on Monday saying that he was happy that President Donald Trump had won the most recent US elections, that is, until Trump responded with tariff threats that could cause mass damage to the Ontario economy.
“Elections Day, was I happy that this guy won? One hundred percent was,” said Ford. “But then the guy took out the knife and the King took it out.”
Trump did not threaten Canada with 25 percent tariffs until weeks after his electoral victory, although he was open about his intention to use tariffs as part of his economic policy.
After talking with journalists on Monday, the leader of the PC party, Doug Ford, said he was initially “happy”, Donald Trump won the US elections until he threatened Canada with strong tariffs.
When asked about the comments on Monday, a PC party spokesman referred to a statement that Ford had made moments before at the same press conference, where he said “absolutely not” is a Trump supporter.
“It is very disappointing. I am sure that there are millions of Canadians who thought ‘Ok, this could be a good change in the United States.’ [but] It has been a disaster, “said Ford.” I would never support that guy in my whole life.
“He goes up and simply stabs you in the heart. Forget about it. They are supposed to be his closest allies, his closest friend. He is terrible.”
Ford’s opinions on Trump have changed over the years. In 2016, before becoming the Prime Minister of Ontario, he told an interviewer that if he was an American, he would absolutely have voted for him.
Then, in 2019, while he was on a trip to the United States, he described himself as a great Republican and defender of Trump, but also expressed concerns about US protectionism.
After the news was learned on Monday afternoon that possible US tariffs would stop for 30 days for additional negotiations, Ford said it would retain the implementation of retaliation measures in Ontario.
“We have good news today. We have temporarily avoided tariffs that would have severely damaged our economy, giving time for more negotiation and time for the coldest bosses to prevail,” he said in a statement.
“With the tariffs of the United States Pause, Ontario will also stop our retaliation measures. If President Trump proceeds with tariff “He continued.
The Ford office also clarified the $ 100 million agreement with Elon Musk Starlink signed at the end of last year.
Then he reiterated that Canada and the United States should remain focused on “the true commercial war we are fighting, with China.”