Lahore: flood water in the river finally entered the five residential locations of Lahore on Thursday morning, flooding harmful roads and houses and other infrastructure. However, timely evacuation saved residents, since none of them was found stranded in flood water, is learned.
The localities suffered due to the flood included Shafiqabad, Farrakhabad and Tallat Park near the bridge and Shahdara theme park, near Chuhng (fine road) and Park View.
“At the moment, the Ravi is full of flood water that has flows of almost 220,000 cusecs, while the designed capacity of the river is 250,000 cusecs,” said Lahore’s deputy commissioner, Syed Musa Raza, while talking with Sunrise Thursday.
According to him, Lahore witnessed the worst floods in 1988 after Ravi received 345,000 CUSEC flows, around 100,000 Cusecs more than the designed capacity, and caused a massive destruction in Shahdara and contiguous localities.
“After the floods of 1988, the water flows that measure 220,000 in the Ravi at this time is so far the highest,” he said, waiting for a reduction in the flows in the next few days if a water discharge of India to downstream is not made.
Human loss avoided due to timely evacuation
Speaking about the evacuation of the residents of the aforementioned localities, he said that currently none of the families is present there, since all have been evacuated in time. Some voluntarily abandoned the area and temporarily moved their relatives in various parts of the city.
“Some preferred to change the relief camps established by the administration in several schools. They are served by food three times. Mattresses, pillows, etc., have also been provided to the affected people present in the camps,” he said, and added that most families have transferred their home articles to the first floor of their homes in an attempt to save them from floods.
DC MR Race said that the animals owned by residents have also been transferred to safe places.
For a question, he said there is no danger to Park View Housing Society, since developers have built an important embankment to save their block located near the river. “Developers have carried out a 24 -hour work and have built a huge embankment there. Now there is no danger at all. In addition, the evacuation of residents has already been done,” he said, and added that the 1122 rescue and other help services have been made available to treat any emergency related to floods.
On the other hand, some residents of the Park View scheme affirmed that the water flowed in two uninhabited blocks of tail on Wednesday night.
In a night development (Thursday), the water entered some more blocks. However, people left and closed their homes to change their relatives or the help fields. “Flood water has left us without option to leave this area,” said a resident while talking to Dawn on the phone.
The district administration also parked several society officials to monitor and treat the situation of floods in association with several interested departments.
In the theme park, people panicked after government ads to leave the area before the arrival of flood water. “The flood water entered several houses, including ours. Thank God, everything remained safe when we left the area in time,” said Jannat Bibi, resident of the theme park. “We currently live in a house in the village of Samsani, the city of Johar, owned by our relative,” he added.
Posted in Dawn, August 29, 2025