Fire near Fort Smith, N.W.T., under control after weekend evacuation alert


According to NWT Fire, a forest fire near Fort Smith, NWT, is under control, which means that it is not expected to grow beyond its current limits.

The Fire Agency of the Northwest territories made the statement on Sunday night around 7 PM, and added that a “cleaning work” is still required and that those in the area must remain cautious.

The city had been on evacuation alert for a period of time on Saturday for a forest fire started around Primore Lane and Carl’s Drive, a few hundred meters from houses, according to Mike Westwick, prevention and mitigation manager of forest fires with the Department of Environment and Climate Change.

It is suspected that fire is caused by humans.

“It’s really discouraging to see events like this starting so early in the season after what we have experienced in recent years,” said Westwick.

The NWT forest fire season began on May 1.

The forest combatants of the territory fought against fire, which became about four hectares, next to the city of Fort Smith and Parks Canada.

Nwt Fire is expected to announce a perspective in the territory season of the territory on Monday afternoon at a press conference. Westwick said that until now they are watching dry conditions in the southwest of the Northwest territories, particularly near Fort Liard. He said they are also paying special attention to fires on the bc side of the border.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *