Death toll in Lyari building collapse surges to 27, rescue operation still underway – Pakistan

The number of deaths due to the collapse of the five -story building in Karachi has increased to 27, with several disappeared people under the rubble, authorities said Sunday.

The rescue teams worked during the night to get more bodies from the debris of the building located in Lyari in Fida Husain Shaikha Road in Lea Market.

Until Saturday, 80 percent of the rescue operation had been completed, according to the Southern Deputy Commissioner (DC), Javed Nabi Khoso.

Talking with Dawn.com Today, around 1:30 pm, rescue spokesman 1122, Hassaanul Haseb Khan, said “it will take five to six hours more to complete the rescue operation.”

Khan added that several people are still missing under the rubble, but he could still not cite an official figure since rescue operations were ongoing.

“Five people, including three women have been injured and so far,” said a statement from the Edhi rescue service.

So far, a total of 27 bodies have been recovered, including nine women, 15 men, a 13 -year -old boy, a 10 -year -old boy and a one -year -old baby. The bodies have been transferred to the Karachi Civil Hospital for Edhi’s ambulance.

Ten people wounded have been discharged.

While talking to the media today after leading the procession of Ashura, Sindh’s prime minister, Murad Ali Shah, provided details about the collapse of the building.

“Immediate rescue efforts were launched to save the survivors trapped under the rubble,” he said, added that the recovered bodies had been delivered to the families.

Khan’s rescue operations statement was echoed that will end today.

The main minister said that a detailed investigation into the causes of collapse would be carried out, with committees already formed to investigate the subject thoroughly.

He revealed that more than 480 buildings in the areas of the old city, mainly in the South District, have been declared dangerous.

“The government plans to help residents affected to find alternative homes,” he said.

CM Murad added that the recently collapsed building was built only a few months ago, apparently without adequate approval, and those responsible for unauthorized construction would face strict punishment.

He also urged the public to verify that any building they buy has the proper approval of the building control authority.

He acknowledged that several people resist evacuation due to poverty and lack of alternatives, often buying or renting cheaper properties without verifying security approvals and then demanding government protection.

While it is empathy with these difficulties, it emphasized that sometimes strict action is necessary to guarantee public safety, as evidenced by recent application measures.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *