Death toll in Lyari building collapse stands at 27 as rescue operation ends on 3rd day – Pakistan

The rescuers concluded their operation on Sunday to recover the people from the site of a five -story building that collapsed in Karachi earlier this week, with the last number of deaths in 27.

The rescue teams worked during the night to get more bodies from the debris of the building located in Lyari in Fida Husain Shaikha Road in Lea Market.

“The rescue operation was completed on Sunday night,” said rescue-122, Hassaanul Haseb Khan Dawn.com. “No more human victims have been found; therefore, the total dead number is 27 people, whose bodies were recovered and transported previously to the Karachi Civil Hospital.”

The spokesman added that the Director General of Interim Rescue 1122, Dr. Abid Jaluddin Shaikh, remained on the ground for more than 30 hours, directly ordering the rescue operation.

Khan said that the exact cause of the collapse would be determined later, but suggested that it was “because the building was in ruins.”

“One day before collapse, residents felt a” shock. “It can be said now that it was not an earthquake, but that the structure of the building was shook or dislocated,” Khan said. “There were 12 families, although some families had already abandoned the building after the tremors.”

Difficulties

Rescue-122 spokesman said there was a lack of coordination between the different rescue organizations and that employees of two private rescue organizations fought during the operation.

“During the fight they suffered head wounds,” Khan said. “It would have been more appropriate if an organization had received command, under which all rescue institutions could have worked.”

Another problem, according to Khan, was that the relatives remained in the place since they were not willing to be transferred to any private government or refuge. Rescue workers faced the “immense pressure” of relatives, he added.

Khan added that there were difficulties in moving heavy machinery such as cranes due to narrow streets.

“We use the same high -tech equipment that was used during Turkiye’s recent earthquake,” Khan told Dawn.com. “The use of such high -tech equipment, such as life detectors, helped rescue several people safely with some minor injuries. Without this equipment, the use of heavy machinery could have caused more injuries.”

He said that more than 100 people participated in the operation for three days, working in different shifts.

Around 1:30 pm, Khan told him Dawn.com“It will take five to six hours more complete the rescue operation.”

A total of 27 bodies were recovered, including nine women, 15 men, a 13 -year -old boy, a 10 -year -old boy and a one -year -old baby. The bodies were transported to the Karachi Civil Hospital by Edhi’s ambulance.

Ten people wounded have been discharged.

While talking to the media today after leading the procession of Ashura, Sindh’s prime minister, Murad Ali Shah, provided details about the collapse of the building.

“Immediate rescue efforts were launched to save the survivors trapped under the rubble,” he said, added that the recovered bodies had been delivered to the families.

Khan’s rescue operations statement was echoed that will end today.

The main minister said that a detailed investigation into the causes of collapse would be carried out, with committees already formed to investigate the subject thoroughly.

He revealed that more than 480 buildings in the areas of the old city, mainly in the South District, have been declared dangerous.

“The government plans to help residents affected to find alternative homes,” he said.

CM Murad added that the recently collapsed building was built only a few months ago, apparently without adequate approval, and those responsible for unauthorized construction would face strict punishment.

He also urged the public to verify that any building they buy has the proper approval of the building control authority.

He acknowledged that several people resist evacuation due to poverty and lack of alternatives, often buying or renting cheaper properties without verifying security approvals and then demanding government protection.

While it is empathy with these difficulties, it emphasized that sometimes strict action is necessary to guarantee public safety, as evidenced by recent application measures.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *