• Educational institutions remain open, exams in progress
• reinforced security throughout the province
• Rescue-122 ready to meet any eventuality
Karachi: Although the routine life in Karachi and other parts of the province were not affected by the Indian attacks in Kashmir and Punjab azad, the provincial authorities on Wednesday prepared a contingency plan and reinforced security in all Sindh to address any situation.
Almost all educational institutions remained open on Wednesday and intermediate exams were carried out according to their schedule in Karachi and other parts of the province.
Director General of Rescue-122, Brigadier Retired Wajid Sibghatullah Mahaha Sunrise that Sindh’s emergency rescue service had prepared an emergency plan, describing the preparation and allocation of resources in anticipation of the situation.
“Rescue-122 (Sindh) is on a maximum alert and is prepared with labor, resources and coordination protocols to treat any emergency efficiently,” according to the content of the plan reviewed by Sunrise. “The 1122 rescue team is completely ready to respond to any emergency throughout the province.”
The Sindh Health Department also declared “emergency” in all health centers due to the prevailing regional security situation.
According to a statement issued by the Director General-Salud, all the leaves of the health personnel, including doctors and nurses, are canceled. Health authorities were asked to maintain a close coordination with the 1122 rescue, the district administration and the agencies of application of the law.
According to the contingency plan, the ambulances are completely integrated with the 1122 rescue, operating to respond quickly to any medical emergency that may arise.
The Plan has been shared with all relevant district administrations for information and the necessary actions.
Police on alert
Police Inspector Ghulam Nabi Memon ordered Wednesday that the Provincial Police remained alert at all levels in view of the tense situation at the country’s borders, according to an official statement.
He directed the police to closely watch the bazaars, markets and public places and monitoring and the improved verification of the border cities and important facilities.
“Pakistan’s army, the Air Force and the Navy are extremely alert at the borders, while Sindh’s police are alert against enemies within the province,” said the IG Police.
In addition, Karachi police chief Javed Alam Odho presided over a meeting in his office in view of the current situation.
The Metropolis police chief ordered the city police to remain alert and present at its headquarters, while the leaves of all the police had been canceled, according to the police statement. He said that the monitoring of all important facilities should increase.
Posted in Dawn, May 8, 2025