At least half a dozen universities throughout the country on Monday welcomed students to classes of the first day of fall with career warnings and hidden about possible gunmen on campus.
In almost all cases, the police and administrators said the reports were deception or coup calls, which is when someone uses temporary numbers of cell phones and voice climate applications to create ravages. Some campus simply said that no evidence of an armed man or violence was found.
The reports were sent to students from the University of Arkansas, the State University of Colorado Boulder, the Iowa State University, the Kansas State University, the University of New Hampshire and the University of Northern Arizona, according to alerts and school statements of the students.
In addition, according to Campus officials, the University of South Carolina received two reports from an active shooter in the Thomas Cooper Library in Columbia on Sunday night; The University of Tennessee-Chaattanoga received a call of active cheat shooters on August 21; and the University of Villanova received two reports from fake active shooters during the first year orientation last week.
The University of Arkansas canceled classes on Monday after determining the reports of “active threats” could not be confirmed. “Students can leave the campus at this time if you wish,” said the University Police.
Kansas State University described a false report on Monday on its Manhattan campus as “similar to other reports that occur in universities throughout the country.”
The Police of the University of South Carolina said in a statement on Monday that both false reports on Sunday night seemed to be carried out by the same man and caused a massive response that included “mutual help” or officers of the surrounding communities.
“Both calls were initiated by an unknown man and included the background noise that imitated the shots,” said the police.
The University of Northern Arizona said in a statement that a person he called reported a gunman on Monday at the Cline Library on his Mountain Flagstaff campus, which caused an answer that included the Flagstaff police, the deputies of the Coconino County Sheriff and the state and federal agents.
“It was determined that the report was a hoax, and at no time there was an active threat to the community of Nau,” said the university in a statement. “An investigation is underway in the false report, with the assistance of the Federal Research Office.”
An FBI spokesman said the office was aware of many of the reported incidents and was helping with the investigations.
“The FBI continues to work with state and local partners to investigate deception, but cannot say at this stage whether the incidents are connected or not,” the office said.
Some of the first blow incidents of the 2010 decade involved false shooting reports in celebrity houses, and in recent years, they have expanded to include politicians and institutions. The FBI created a national database to track such false calls.
Last year, the authorities alleged that a California teenager carried out hundreds of calls that historically went to black universities, secondary schools, the houses of the FBI agents and a Florida mosque in a spree that finally admitted to having carried out.