Chicago mayor signs order with blueprint for fighting a potential Trump crackdown


The mayor of Chicago, Brandon Johnson, signed an executive order on Saturday with the aim of curbing the power of the federal agents of the law and the national guard’s troops that said that President Donald Trump has threatened to deploy in Illinois.

“We are in a position in which we must take immediate and drastic measures to protect our people from federal overreach,” said Johnson, a Democrat, at a press conference.

One of the main points of the order, said Johnson, was to direct the city’s law department to use “all legal mechanism” to try to stop Trump’s potential plan.

Chicago mayor Brandon Johnson said the city would use “all legal mechanism” to reject repression.Kamil Krzaczynski / AFP – Getty Images

Johnson later added that he would use “every tool at our disposal, and that includes the courts.”

“It is an area where there is at least an appearance of check and balance in this country,” he said.

The executive order also includes a litany of other directives, said Johnson, which includes clarifying what actions the Chicago police officers can take to help the Federal Police and prohibit them from covering their faces or the police department logo with their uniforms.

“This order states that the Chicago Police Department will not collaborate with military personnel in police patrols or in the application of the Civil Immigration Law. We will not have our police officers, who work hard every day to reduce crime, deputies to make traffic stops and control points for the president,” Johnson said at the press conference.

Johnson’s movement occurs when the president has already deployed troops and the Federal Police in Washington, DC, and since more and more threatens to do the same in other important American cities, such as Baltimore.

So far, most Democratic officials have delayed Trump’s threats to send troops to US cities, with more than a dozen Democratic governors on Thursday who launched a statement condemning the president’s actions.

“Whether it is Illinois, Maryland and New York or other state, the threats and efforts of the president to deploy the National Guard of a State without the application and consent of the governor of that state is an abuse of alarming, ineffective power and undermines the mission of the members of our service,” said the governors in the statement. “This chaotic federal interference in the National Guard of our states must come to an end.”

Meanwhile, in Washington, Mayor Muriel Bowser said earlier this week that the federal increase had reduced crime, but the presence of immigration officers and national guard troops did not work.

“What we know does not work is a break in trust between the police and the community, especially with the new federal partners in our community,” Bowser told reporters last week. “We know that having masked ice agents in the community has not worked, and the national guards of other states have not been an efficient use of those resources.”

Trump has not announced plans to send federal troops of the Law or the National Guard to Chicago, but the Washington Post reported earlier this month that the Pentagon was deeply involved in the planning of a military deployment in the city.

Earlier this week, NBC News reported that federal authorities plan to increase Chicago agents as soon as next week to increase unauthorized immigrants arrests.

Johnson said on Saturday that the city has “received credible reports that we have days, not weeks, before our cities see some type of militarized activity by the federal government.”

“It is not clear at this time how it will be seen. We can see the application of militarized immigration. We can also see Troops of the National Guard. We can even see military vehicles and armed active duty in our streets,” Johnson added.

White House spokesman, Abigail Jackson, responded on Saturday to Johnson’s announcement, accusing the mayor of having “Trump Disorder Syndrome”.

“If these Democrats focused on fixing the crime in their own cities instead of making advertising acrobatics to criticize the president, his communities would be much safer. Rewarding the crime should not be a partisan problem, but the Democrats who suffer from TD are trying to do it one,” he said, and added: “They should listen to the mayor of the demos Muriel of Jackson in the crime of Jackson in the crime In the success of the Washington Administration Administration in the success of the Washington Administration in the success of the Washington Administration in the Washington Administration demonstration in Washington’s success in the Washington administration demonstration.

On Friday, Tsar of the Trump border, Tom Homan, told Fox News that the administration was investigating the action in Chicago.

“Chicago comes, along with any other sanctuary city,” said Homan. “President Trump undertakes to focus and prioritize sanctuary cities because that’s where the problem is.”

“Get out of the way, because we will do it,” Homan said later when asked about the possible rejection of local officials.

Earlier this month, the President deployed National Guard troops and federal law agents in Washington, DC, in what has called an effort to combat crime. Federal troops and officials were deployed with the Metropolitan Police Department to several areas of the capital of the Nation.

Until now, he has only deployed Federal Officers and National Guard troops to Washington as part of his declared plan to fight crime, although earlier this year Trump federalized the National Guard of California, despite the opposition of Governor Gavin Newsom, D-Calif., Senting troops to Los Angeles for Qulel Protest against the actions of compliance with immigration of the administration.

Earlier this week, during an event at La Crosse, Wisconsin, Vice President JD Vance spoke about the president’s plans to send troops to other US cities, telling the crowd that he did not expect Trump to “force” the troops to the governors and mayors who did not want them.

“What the president has said is that, very simply, we want the governors and mayors to request the aid,” said Vance, and added later: “The president of the United States does not go there, what it is, so it is not, why don’t we believe we invite us?”

The vice president then referred specifically to Chicago, telling the attendees: “We are not far from Chicago. Chicago has had many crime problems. Why is mayors and governors who are more angry that Donald Trump offers them that those who are about the fact that their own residents are being loaded and killed in the streets?



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *