Catherine Galliford, a former RCMP spokesman for High Profile who later demanded by force alleging generalized sexual harassment, died at the age of 58.
Galliford, who spoke on behalf of the force during high profile cases such as the Air India bombing trial and the research murderer Robert Pickton, increased the RCMP ranks in the 90s and early 2000s and served as Cabo.
In 2011, he spoke exclusively to CBC News, claiming long -term sexual harassment for two decades with the RCMP.
Her treatment, which said she left it with PTSD and Agoraphobia, finally led her to file a lawsuit that was resolved in 2016. It led to a wave of other civil costumes of other officers who forced a calculation within the RCMP ranks.
Catherine Galliford, the high -profile Mountie who spoke for the first time against sexual harassment in the RCMP is demanding her employer, claiming years of sexual harassment and “persistent and continuous” harassment
Galliford died on Friday of liver Cancer in Kamloops, BC, according to his friends and other former RCMP officers, Janet Merlo and Cheryl Jarvis, who were with her.
Merlo was one of the main plaintiffs in a civil lawsuit that alleged sexual harassment within the RCMP, and accredited Galliford for inspiring her to be presented.
“It was Catherine’s interview that encouraged the rest of us to speak and find our voices,” Merlo told CBC News.
“She was inspiration,” he added. “If she hadn’t done that interview, I would never have said anything. I would have gone to my quiet grave like everyone else. But it was definitely the person who ignited that torch personally.”
The civil lawsuit of May 2012 was against four officers, an RCMP doctor, the Attorney General of Canada and the Minister of Justice of BC
Both officers said that, despite the fact that more than $ 100 million are paid to victims of sexual harassment within the RCMP, both receive complaints to serve the members every week claiming abuse.
Jarvis, who also said that she was sexually harassed while she was in force, said she wants Galliford to be remembered for being a compassionate and empathic police officer whose courage should inspire others within the RCMP to speak.
“I really hope, in it [memory]That the torch passes to those who are working now, that she gives them strength to stand up and say: ‘It is still happening. This is still what is happening to us’ … Use it as your battle cry to say that it is enough, “said the former Mountie.
Spoke on behalf of the victims of Pickton
Galliford was born on December 28, 1966, and Jarvis said he grew up in the Vancouver area before moving to Prince George, BC
The former spokesman used an experience in journalism to inform his career as a media spokesman, according to Jarvis.
Jarvis, Merlo and Galliford graduated together from the RCMP Academy in 1991.

Although he faced the handling of the RCMP of many high profile cases, Galliford later spoke on behalf of Pickton’s victims in the investigation of the serial killer case.
Galliford told CBC News in 2011 that the police were indifferent to the investigation, saying that the investigators were more interested in padding their payments and drinking alcohol than catching a serial killer.

Jarvis said his testimony in the name of the family of the victims of Pickton showed how empathic and compassionate he was Galliford.
“She tried to contribute a closure to families … To say, you know, ‘someone is listening,” said Jarvis.
“She was a true incredible woman that way.”
PREPT reported
During his 2011 interview with CBC News, Galliford revealed numerous cases in which he had been a victim of sexual harassment during his two decades over force, as well as his struggles with PTSD and agoraphobia.
“If I had a penny for every time one of my bosses asked me to sit in his lap, I would be on a yacht on the Bahamas at this time,” he said in that interview.

In May 2012, Galliford filed a civil lawsuit against four officers, an RCMP doctor, the Attorney General of Canada, who supervises the RCMP and the Minister of Justice of BC.
The demand was finally established in 2016, although Galliford said he lost everything after it was made public, including his position on the force and his home.
Merlo said that the stress caused by his treatment in force probably contributed to cancer that finally caused his death.
“I broke my heart that his whole life was torn by nothing more to tell the truth,” said Merlo.
Merlo says he hopes that the life and death of Galiford will encourage other victims to speak.
“I think the call to action now has to be for current RCMP members who see this, and know what is happening, but they are afraid to speak,” he said.
“In the name of Catherine and in the memory of Catherine, you must find your voice and make this public.”