Canada Post reviewing union’s offer responses as OT ban remains in effect


The conversations between Canada and the negotiators of their union are expected to resume in the next few days, said their union on Sunday after the two parties met in the middle of warnings of delays in mail delivery linked to a national prohibition of extra hours for postal workers.

In an afternoon statement, the Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW) said that their negotiators had “worked hard to carefully evaluate” the latest offers of Canada Post and prepare answers before the meeting of the day with the employer and the mediators.

The president of the Union, Jan Simpson, said in the statement that the union learned at 12:50 pm et that Canada Post had left the facilities to review the union documents, and that the employer can take a few days to respond.

“We hope that the corporation will return to us as soon as possible. Although the conversations continue, the national prohibition of extra hours is still in force,” Simpson wrote.

In an email to CBC News, Canada Post confirmed that he received the union’s responses, adding that “he will review them in detail.”

Look | Canada Post General Strike On Hold – For now:

Canada Post General Strike On Hold – For now

The last minute conversations between Canada Post and its union collapsed without an agreement on Thursday night, but the union is putting a strike at the national level for now. Instead, he has told workers to reject overtime, since he considers their next movement.

Canada Post presented its last offers to La Unión on Wednesday, which included an increase in payment and plans to implement a fleet of part -time workers.

The CUPW requested a two -week “truce” to consider the offer, but the employer rejected.

Sunday’s meeting was the first weekend, said a spokesman for the Crown Corporation. A mediator was present to work with the parties that have been blocked for months in efforts to ensure a new collective bargaining agreement.

In a previous email, CUPW criticized Canada Post for rejecting his truce proposal, who said he left negotiators with only a few days to comb through the legal writing of the 700 -page offer.

A mailman delivers a package to a main door.
A post carrier mail in Canada delivers a package to a gateway in Montreal in November 2024. The union and post canada have been blocked for months in efforts to ensure a new collective bargaining agreement. (Christinne Muschi/The Canadian Press)

“If instability hangs on these negotiations, it is due to uncompromising position and time management,” the union wrote in a statement.

The most recent agreement between the parties, which was extended by the Canada Industrial Relations Board after Ottawa intervened in the holiday strike of a month at the end of last year, expired on Thursday.

While CUPW issued a 72 -hour strike notice earlier for the week that could have seen workers out of work on the first Friday morning, the union issued a national prohibition of taking extra time while considered the last agreement.

The union said in a newsletter to the members last week that the most recent of Canada Post offers “autumn” about wages and other key conflict points in negotiations.

Canada Post said that offers reflect their financial realities.

An industrial research commission established by the federal government found that the postal service was effectively “in bankruptcy” and recommended a series of structural changes in a report published earlier this month.

That included recommendations to eliminate daily door to door delivery and implement a “dynamic” routing system that could see that the routes of the carriers change daily.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *