At least 358 dead as KP reels from devastating floods; rehabilitation efforts underway – Pakistan

At least 358 people died as a result of strong floods and downpour in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa in the last three days, while rehabilitation efforts are still underway as the province recovers from the desire flood, the provincial disaster management authority said Tuesday.

The record rains in KP, which began on August 15, have wreaked havoc throughout the province. Last week, the provincial government declared an emergency when torrential rains devastated the houses, moved to families and left a trace of destruction through Buner, Swat, Shangla, Mansehra and beyond.

According to the latest data from the PDMA KP, 358 people have died in rain -related incidents since August 15, with Buner informing the highest toll than 225. Other 181 people were injured, while the dead included 287 men, 41 women and 30 children.

Buner was the worst district of the province, where sudden floods and construction collapses left 225 dead people, including 193 men, 23 women and nine children, according to the report. Another 120 people suffered wounds.

After Buner, the Shangla district reported 36 deaths from sudden floods, while 22 deaths were recorded in Mansehra, another 22 in Bajaur and 20 on Swat, where both sudden floods and infrastructure damage charged lives.

The sudden floods in the Swabi district of the KP also left 17 dead, according to the PDMA.

Due to the separate ceiling collapse incidents, five people died in Lower Dir, and two other people lost their lives in Noshewra.

Abbotabad, Torghar and Waziristan del Sur registered one death each, the report said.

According to PDMA data, the total number of houses damaged throughout the province was 780, of which 349 were completely destroyed and another 431 partial damage suffered. Buner suffered the greatest amount of damage, leaving 162 houses destroyed.

The number of cattle that perished was 427.

“It has been predicted that the current rain cycle will continue intermittently until August 21,” said KP PDMA spokesman Anwer Shahzad, in a statement.

He said the authority had ordered the district administrations to intensify the aid activities and provide immediate assistance to the victims.

“The public is recommended to communicate with the PDMA help line in 1700 in case of any emergency or climate update,” Shahzad added.

Ongoing aid efforts

The KP advisor to the main minister, the lawyer Muhammad Ali Saif, in a statement, detailed the help efforts, saying that rescue teams are fully involved in districts affected by floods.

A number of RS3 billion for the current operations has been published, he said, added that currently around 6,000 people are implemented as part of rescue efforts.

“A total of 5,210 people have been safely evacuated, he added.

In addition, Barríster Saif said that a mobile application has been launched to issue financial compensation to affected families.

“One hundred and seventy -six (176) rescue centers have been established and at least 100 roads, previously cut due to floods, have now been clear and restored,” he said.

According to Barríster Saif, five army helicopters and a provincial helicopter were involved in rescue efforts.

He explained that the provincial government has delivered 89 trucks of relief articles to the districts affected by floods, and today more trucks are scheduled to be sent today.

He added that 2800 tents, 6100 mattresses, 2700 hygiene kits and 4300 kitchen games have been distributed in the affected areas. In addition, 3100 canvases, 7400 mosquito networks, 6800 blankets and 500 gas cylinders were distributed.

“Two hundred and eighty -nine (289) medical camps have also been established,” he said.

Barríster Saif shared that until now around 822 cases of infectious diseases have been reported, for which people receive treatment in medical help fields.

Separately, in an attempt to support the victims of the flood, the Prime Minister of KP, Ali Amin Gandapur, decided to donate their one -month salary, the cabinet ministers have donated their 15 -day salary, while the members of the Assembly will donate their seven -day salary, said lawyer Saif.

“Officers above the 17th grade have donated their two -day salary, while government employees from grade 1 to 16 have donated the salary of one day to the victims of flood.”

The Baltistan road reopened for traffic

Separately, the Baltistan road devastated by the floods was reopened for all types of traffic, according to Shahzad Baig, officer of the Baltistan Gilgit Disaster Management Authority (GBDMA).

He said: “The Baltistan road, which was blocked six days ago because the bridge was dragged after severe floods in the Nullah of Istak, was restored with the joint efforts of the Pakistan and GBDMA army.”

He added that a large number of mountaineers, tourists and passengers had been stranded due to the closure of the one -week road closure.

On Saturday, GB Interior Minister, Shams, lonely [said][1] That the Baltistan road bridge had been swept, cutting four districts of Baltistan de Gilgit.

“As soon as the road opened, tankers and trucks loaded with other life needs that remain for Skardu,” Baig added.

A Skardu resident, Qasim Butt, said the closure of the road caused a shortage of gasoline and food in the four districts, which worried the locals.

“One day before Islak’s Nullah, the Baltistan road closed because the Baghicha RCC bridge crawled on the flood. However, the traffic flow remained creating an alternative route,” he said, he added that the road was now completely reopened.

22 killed in Baluchistan since June 28

The Balochistan PDMA reported that 22 people have been killed and nine wounds in the province as a result of the rain of the monsoon and floods since June 28, including two killed and one wound yesterday in Harnai due to a ceiling collapse.

Of the remaining casualties, four people died and two wounds in Zhob, six killed and one wound in Khuzdar, four killed in Duki, one in Ziarat, two killed and four wounds in Musakhail, one killed and one injured in Kohlu and another in Lasbela and Lorealai.

During this period, 83 houses were informed throughout the province, including 14 completely destroyed, together with four cases of damage to public property. The PDMA also reported that 357 solar panels were damaged in Dera Bugti.

The National Road Authority said the work had begun in the restoration of the bridge.

Authorities placed on maximum alert in Punjab

Meanwhile, several cities in Punjab also received heavy rains in the last 24 hours, with PDMA forecasting more showers, it is expected to last until August 23, according to a spokesman for the Punjab PDMA.

“In the last 24 hours, 95mm of Rain was remember 28mm, Rajanpur 25mm, Dera Ghazi Khan 21mm, and Mangla receiving 17 mm of rain.

According to the spokesman, a heavy rain was expected in Lahore, Gujrat, Sialkot, Toba Tek Singh, Mandi Bahauddin, DG Khan, Bahawalpur and Mianwali today.

It was also expected that Rawalpindi, Murree, Galiat, Atock, Chakwal, Jhelum, Faisalabad, Gujranwala, Sargodha, Finen and Sahiwal received rain.

The spokesman warned about the risk of floods in the rivers and channels of low areas as a result of the rain, as well as landslides in mountainous regions such as Murree.

He advised tourists to remain cautious in the light of the climate situation and urged citizens to take precautionary measures.

The Provincial Control Chamber of PDMA and the emergency centers of the district have been placed on maximum alert, added the spokesman.

The general director, Punjab Pdma, Irfan Ali Kathi, also ordered the relevant district administrations to remain on a maximum alert in case of emergency. He instructed the district officers concerned to remain in the field to supervise the help efforts.

Army mobilized for help efforts: DG ISPR

The general director of Public Relations between Services, Lieutenant General Ahmed Sharif Chaudhry, provided a summary of the efforts initiated by the military in the northern areas for the rains of the Monzón.

Speaking during an informative media session in Islamabad today, he said: “By order of the head of the Army staff, Munir, the Army and the additional units were mobilized (in the affected areas).”

He said that KP received eight infantry and border police units (FC), which were directly involved in the search and rescue, and flood relief operations, while GB had one, taking the total of nine units.

He also said that a Brigade of Engineers, two engineers’ battalions and two urban search and rescue equipment were deployed in KP, while two engineers were sent to GB, where they were “working on the opening of the road and eliminating landslides.”

“Three medical units were deployed in KP, while nine medical camps were deployed in GB. More than 6,304 people have been treated.”

“In search and rescue operations, 6,903 people have been rescued,” he added.

General Chaudhry also said that a day rations were assigned, which amounted to 585 tons, and added that the army aviation was deployed to supervise the evacuation of medical victims, emergencies and transport of food and medicine.

He stressed that multiple bridges and roads were repaired, while the telecommunications infrastructure in the affected areas, including Shangla and Buner, was being repaired together with the Pakistan telecommunications authority.

Speaking more specifically about the affected regions, the DG ISPR said that the army displayed two battalions in Buner, two battalions in Shangla, one on Swat, one wing FC each in Bajaur and Dir, and a company in Swabi.

“These are dedicated resources … that 24 hours were deployed for flood relief rescue operations,” he said.

While talking about logistic support, DG ISPR said there were bases in Peshawar and Nowshera. “In Peshawar, there were 2,500 meals ready to eat and 20 tons of rations. In Nowshera, there are 5,000 meals ready to eat and 505 tons of rations,” he said, and added that they were being transported by roads and helicopters.

He also stressed that 90 roads were damaged in KP. Of these, nine roads were completely operational and 86 were partially restored, he added.

Mansehra, Battagram, Ghizer and Shigar were more affected in GB, he said, where two medical camps were established and the distribution of rations was ongoing.

DG ISPR also praised Pakistan’s Air Force for doing a “great job” in help efforts and praised civil society groups that operate from Karachi for providing relief.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *