At least eight people have been accused in what Los Angeles officials have described as a ring of crimes that promulgates a series of residential robberies throughout the city.
The officers did what LAPD Chief Jim McDonnell described as an “important operation” last week by executing simultaneous search orders aimed at the suspects of robbery. The arrested suspects had links with the gangs of the 30 and 55 -year -old neighborhood, McDonnell said at a press conference on Monday.
“The robbery crew and the crimes that the objectives of this operation were members of what was known as the rich roll of roll theft, responsible for 92 residential robberies in the city of Los Angeles,” McDonnell said on the case.
The researchers believe that the robberies began in 2022 and have covered the city in western Los Angeles, the Hollywood Pacific, Wilshire, North Hollywood, West Valley, the northeast of Devon Seguro, Footill and Topanga. It is not believed that this group is connected to a recent series of robberies in the Encino area, authorities said Monday.
A great advance occurred in February, when the officers pursued three suspects in a vehicle that the officers recognized that they were used in two robberies, according to McDonnell. These three people were arrested on February 12, and the officers obtained information that led to more potential suspects, added the boss.
While executing arrest orders, McDonnell said the officers found tools for robberies, several firearms, some of which were reported stolen, and large amounts of ammunition. Other stolen items were found, such as jewelry, luxury bags and credit cards.
McDonnell described the methods used by the crew as “sophisticated”, since they allegedly placed cameras in flower massifs to monitor the daily movements of a victim and used Jammers to block Wi -Fi cameras and security systems.
Prosecutors will seek the maximum penalty for the suspects they currently accuse, which includes sentences for life for those with previous convictions, the journalists told the district prosecutor of Los Angeles County, Nathan Hochman.
“These are not crimes of necessity; these are crimes of greed,” said Hochman.
Eight of the recently arrested face theft and possession of controlled substances charges, said Hochman. Two of the suspects who were already in custody before the operation last week face positions of murder attempt.
The district prosecutor said the police have been able to arrest what he called “wrathful”, or people who sold stolen goods through various media, such as commitment or markets online. Those online markets are cooperating with these investigations, Hochman added.
“When they get the shooters, they go after real thieves and residential thieves who stole things first,” said Hochman.
Another 45 robberies are still under investigation, he said.
The authorities did not appoint any specific victim who is believed to be attacked by the suspects, but the Los Angeles area has been the home of several high -profile robberies in celebrity houses in recent years.
The arrests were made when the houses of actor Brad Pitt and singer Lionel Richie were entered earlier this month.
The high -profile objectives of theft over the years include actors Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson; The former reality television star Teddi Mellencamp, and the Dodgers of Los Angeles, Yoshinobu Yamamoto, and his teammates Max Muncy and Freddie Freeman.