A forest fire that forced the residents of Point-Adam’s Cove-Blackhead-Broad Cove in Conception Bay North to flee their community has now been considered content, says the provincial forest fire service officer.
Roger Gillingham, head of the North Shore Volunteer Fire Department, told Radio-Canada that favorable climatic conditions allowed several dozen firefighters to control the fire.
“At this time, the only fire we see are some cases of hot points of some of the structures that were destroyed in the fire. And there are still some very small fires that are at the outer edges of the fire,” Gillingham said around 3 pm NT on Thursday. “But for the most part, the fire is certainly under control now.”
Multiple water bombers and the use of nine pump trucks also helped suffocate the fire.
The fire led the city to declare an emergency state on Wednesday night, and the residents of Adam’s Cove north of Cave Lane, those north of Black Head Brook and those in the area to the south of River Loop Road in Western Bay have been told to evacuate.
In a publication on social networks just after 8 pm, the provincial government said that the number of structures impacted by the fire, including houses and a recreational vehicle warehouse, had reached 45.

The fire burned 501 hectares in size from around 4 pm, according to the active forest fire board of the province.
Talking to CBC News just before 6 PM, Gillingham said that most of the danger had passed without important injuries or reported deaths. Some firefighters were treated by smoke inhalation.
“30 very difficult hours have passed more or less. We have experienced something here in this area that we have never experienced before, and we never dream of experimenting,” he said.
“Places where the houses, cabins and sheds of the people were … there is absolutely nothing,” he said.
Those who need medical attention should do so through virtual care, the province said, since the Western Bay medical clinic has closed. Those with appointments are contacted individually.
Now a forest fire that caused an evacuation in parts of Conception Bay North is contained. Terry Roberts of CBC was on the ground on Thursday night with this update on the development situation.
The provincial forest fire service officer, Jeff Motty, told CBC News later on Thursday afternoon that the perimeter of the fire was contained in 50 percent.
“With 50 percent of the content perimeter, we feel comfortable in affirming the fact that we do not expect the perimeter of fire to grow,” he said.
“We can really start working inside the perimeter at the edges. You know, just say, identify the hot points and continue taking them out and suppressing that.”
Gillingham says it is too early to know when people could return to their homes. The following steps involve working with the power of Newfoundland to evaluate the damage and recover electricity safely, he said.
Adam’s Cove resident, Pauline White, told CBC News that Wednesday’s situation was frantic.
She and a friend tried to get to her sister’s house in the early hours of the evacuation, but quickly found the impassable route.
“We quickly got wrapped in flames and smoke. The dog was going crazy and it was like, ‘no, we can’t do it. We have to go back,” White said
White invested, but found another impassable path.
Unable to drive the truck to a safe place, she says that she and her friend got on their ATV ran along a path behind Adam’s Cove.
“So basically we drove through fire,” he said.
Upon reaching their sister’s house, they found fire everywhere. Everyone came out safely.
White says that since then he has returned to his own home, and while he is still standing there are burns brands around his house and garage.
“It’s Armageddon,” White said.
Pauline White says that when she learned that two women were trapped, she, and her friend, Darlene, got on her ATV and fired her on the track to Adam’s Cove to overcome the flames. She tells her story to Henrike Wilhelm from CBC.
The scene in the community reminds him of the 2016 fire in Fort McMurray, which his brother and his family experienced.
For now, White stays with a friend, and at least three of her cats are fine, but she has not seen two others. She says she is frustrated by an unreliable cell service in the area.
“In fact, I still can’t call my family and let them know that we are fine and that the house is still fine,” he said.
Houses destroyed
Meanwhile, the city mayor says he does not know the total reach of the damage.
“There is a lot of anxiety, a lot of uncertainty at this time. And we don’t even know exactly what houses have been lost. We know the general areas,” said Mayor Curtis Delaney.
He says there has been no injury report, and much of the fire was contained during the night. There are still a number of active areas where firefighters hope to demolish Thursday.
“As things are cleaned and the critical points within the community themselves are published, you know, we will have a better idea of exactly the damage that is done,” he said.
He says that some evacuees have gone to stay with family and friends, but the city is also using the local community center and a school as evacuation centers.
“I’ve had several people even this morning now, asking me now, ‘I have a house? Is my house standing,'” he said.
The community has a population of around 400, but says that there are also seasonal residents.
“It is heartbreaking to see the damage that a fire can do in such a short period of time.”
He says it is not safe for residents to return and told people to obtain information on the city’s Facebook page.
Delaney says that every year it is drier conditions and a greater probability of fires.
“All that is needed is a spark and could be my home as well as that of any other person. He really comes home when he is their area and people who know,” he said.
Frank Reynolds, a city councilor, says that on the last day he has been devastating for the community, but everyone joined to help each other.
“Everyone is affected. I don’t know what is lost, I can’t answer that, but it’s a devastating moment in this community,” Reynolds said.
Reynolds says that the water bombers saved Blackhead and the surrounding area.

Sue Rose, who is also a city councilor, says it was a difficult night, and although some families have lost their homes, everyone is safe.
“The firefighters came from everywhere and the RCMP was simply fantastic. They took control and made sure that everyone did not enter Adam’s cove,” Rose said.
Gerry Rogers says that the water bombers had not been able to fly due to the fog earlier in the day, but finally they could enter the air.
“I think this is a direct result of climate change,” he said.
Environment Canada issued a special air quality statement for the northern Peninsula due to fires.
“The winds today and tonight will be predominantly from the southwest, which should move most of the smoke to the sea,” said the statement.
There are also fires in Fermeuse and Joe’s Lake, northwest of Badger, who are under control. Another fire that burns in the Harding pond in Holyrood is a hectare of size.
The RCMP has closed Route 70 between Adam’s Cove and Western Bay and the police are asking people to go south to Victoria or north to Lower Island Cove.
Cabot Academy at Western Bay and Persalvic School Complex in Victoria is also closed.
There is also an energy cut in the areas around Kingston and Eight Pit Cove, which affects approximately 230 customers. The Power of Newfoundland went out of line on Wednesday.
Volunteer rally
There are evacuation centers at Persalvic Elementary School in Victoria, the Ayla Building in Mulches Road in Lower Island Cove and the Salem Community Center on Small Point.
Janessa Wheeler, a volunteer in the Ayla building, says around 10 people arrived at the center, as well as pets such as birds, cats and dog dogs.

She says that residents are in a state of shock and do not know if they have houses to return.
“It’s devastating and sad,” Wheeler said.
There were many people to help with food and other donations, such as dressing articles, he says, and local restaurants donated breakfast food.
“I get my heart to know that there are people out there to do this. You don’t know what to expect. You don’t know when to expect anything.”
Download ours Free CBC news application To register with thrust alerts for CBC Newfoundland and Labrador. Click Here to visit our destination page.