Four killed, 10 wounded in California shooting: US police

Four people were killed and 10 wounded in a shooting during a family gathering in California on Saturday night, US police said, calling it a “targeted incident”.

The shooting took place inside a banquet hall in Stockton, northeast of San Francisco, shortly before 6:00 p.m. (7:00 a.m. PKT Sunday), San Joaquin County Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Heather Brent told reporters at a news conference.

The victims, who range from “juveniles to adults,” were taken to local hospitals, Brent said, adding that information about the shooting was limited.

“What we have confirmed at this time is that there was a banquet hall where a family was celebrating. We have 14 victims of this shooting. Four of them are deceased,” Brent said.

“Early indications suggest this may be a targeted incident. Investigators are exploring all possibilities at this time.”

The sheriff’s office said in a social media post that detectives were “working to determine the circumstances that led to this tragedy.”

“We urge anyone with information, video footage or who witnessed any part of this incident to contact the San Joaquin County Sheriff’s Office immediately,” he said.

So far no suspect has been identified.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom was informed about the shooting, his office said in a social media post.

There have been 504 mass shootings in the United States so far this year, including the Stockton incident, according to the Gun Violence Archive, which defines a mass shooting as four or more people shot.





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *