Three Filipino employees of a construction company in Dartmouth, NS, say they are overwhelmed with gratitude after receiving new work permits from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
“This morning is the only time I wasn’t upset with my alarm clock because I was so excited to get back to work,” said Raddy Adams Manicadao, one of three men who have been employed with Brycon Construction since 2022.
Adams Manicadao, Jafferson Palabasan and Rene Logrinio had been given the job order and told they might have to leave Canada after their extensions were rejected in August because their employer forgot to submit parts of their applications.
In two cases, the company failed to pay a $230 employer fee. In the third, it neglected to submit a labor market impact assessment.
The men were left with the option of applying again from scratch or leaving the country in 90 days. The three immediately reapplied, but were told they would have to wait six months for their new applications to be processed. During that time, they were not allowed to work, and their provincial health cards were made invalid.
His boss, Dave Hiscock, appealed to politicians for weeks to no avail. When their story aired on CBC News last week, the company heard from people across the country who sympathized with the men’s plight.
New permits arrived on Sunday
On Sunday morning, three new work permits arrived in Hiscock’s inbox.
“I’m glad I made a little extra noise because I don’t think with past experience it would have expedited the process,” Hiscock said. “I think the right person read it and thought it was wrong.”
He called his three employees immediately to tell them that they were expected to report to work on Monday morning.
“They were very surprised. They thought I was joking at first. I could imagine the smiles on their faces. They were very, very happy.”
Palabasan said he was elated to receive the phone call from Hiscock.
“I jumped,” he said. “I am very grateful to the Immigration Department.”
Logrinio said it was hard to wait while they were in limbo, but he remained hopeful.
“I’m excited to do my best and continue to support my family at home,” said Logrinio, who sends money to the Philippines to support his wife and three daughters.
The men reported for duty Monday morning. Hiscock said he is thrilled to have three valued employees on the job as the company begins work on the Highway 103 twinning project between Hubbards and Chester.
All three men have applied to become permanent residents and hope to bring their families to Halifax.