‘You are a monster’: Former Catholic priest pleads guilty to sexually assaulting Nunavut children


WARNING: This article contains graphic content and details of child sexual abuse, and may affect those who have experienced sexual violence or know someone affected by it.

A former Catholic priest who sexually abused children in Nunavut has pleaded guilty to all charges against him.

Eric Dejaeger, 77, pleaded guilty in an Iqaluit courtroom Thursday morning before Judge Faiyaz Alibhai.

Dejaeger originally faced eight historic charges for sexual assaults that occurred between 1978 and 1982 in Igloolik. Two of the charges were dropped by the Crown as they relate to having sexual relations outside of marriage, which is no longer part of the Criminal Code.

“I plead guilty,” he said of the remaining six charges. “All of them.”

A woman played a drum outside the courtroom Thursday as people filed in.

Crown attorney Emma Baasch read the facts of the charges into the record, detailing each assault.

Most of Dejaeger’s victims were between six and nine years old, with some as young as four, the court heard.

Two of them have already died, Baasch said.

The court heard that Dejaeger told the boys to go to the Catholic church in Igloolik and offered them sweets if they did, before sexually assaulting them.

Several victims recalled that Dejaeger told them they would “go to hell” if they told anyone about the abuse.

The victims told the court details of the abuse they suffered. Some said they were injured or fainted from the pain during the assaults.

Some people screamed and sobbed in the courtroom, while another yelled at Dejaeger, who seemed to have no reaction on his face.

All victims’ identities are protected under a publication ban.

Dejaeger was originally scheduled to stand trial in Iqaluit this week, but the trial was halted earlier this week when his attorney said his client would now plead guilty.

‘He wanted revenge on the girl he hurt’

Victim impact statements also began to be read Thursday morning, before the court broke for lunch.

“His victims… are suffering a lot. You can see it in their eyes,” one person said.

“He wanted revenge for the girl he hurt,” the same victim said through tears. “I’m not a little girl anymore and I’m not afraid anymore.”

Many of them said they don’t feel safe going to church either.

“I hate the smell of church,” one victim said. “I hate to see new priests coming to our community.”

“You are a monster. I hope you rot in hell,” said another.

Many parts of the Igloolik church where Dejaeger worked, which still stands, remain the same, one victim said.

“It’s a horrible reminder that it’s still the same,” he said.

Another victim, who said she was five years old when Dejaeger abused her, showed the court a photograph of herself at that age.

“Look,” he shouted. “I hope you recognize her.”

Dejaeger was previously sentenced to 19 years in prison in 2015 after a court found him. guilty of 32 counts of child sexual abuse during his time as a priest at Igloolik. He was released on parole in May 2022.

Victim impact statements will continue to be read this afternoon.


For anyone who has been sexually assaulted, support is available through crisis lines and local support services through Partnership to End Violence Canada Database. ​​If you are in immediate danger or fear for your safety or the safety of others around you, call 911.

If you or someone you know in Nunavut is struggling, the following resources may help:

  • Kamatsiaqtut Nunavut Helpline (available 24 hours a day): 979-3333 in Iqaluit, or 1-800-265-3333
  • Healing by Talking Counseling Program: 1-888-648-0070
  • Nunavut Government Employee and Family Assistance Program: 1-800-663-1142
  • Isaksimagit Inuusirmi Katujjiqatigiit (Embrace Life Council): 1-866-804-2782
  • Hope for Wellness Helpline: 1-855-242-3310
  • Victim Services: 1-866-456-5216



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *