The MPP of the north of Ontario, Chris Scott, is no longer a member of the Progressive Conservative Caucus of Prime Minister Doug Ford after he was accused of assault and assault with a weapon over the weekend.
The prime minister’s office said in an email on Monday that Scott is no longer a member of Caucus. No reason was given.
Later in the morning, the Prime Minister was asked about Scott’s departure, during a press conference in eastern Ontario.
“You know something: I would go to Sault Ste. Marie’s police. They literally informed me in the parking lot while we were going here,” Ford told reporters.
“Yes, go to Sault Ste. Marie’s Police. I don’t want to interfere in a police investigation.”
MPP released from custody
Sault Ste. Marie Courthouse confirms that Scott now faces those charges after an incident on Friday in the city of Northeast of Ontario.
He was released from custody after an appearance in court on Monday morning, promising to meet certain conditions, even not to contact specific people connected to the incident.
Sault Ste. Marie’s police had previously said that Scott was arrested by Toronto Police, but the scope of her participation is not clear.
Scott was first chosen as the Sault Ste. Marie MPP in the February Ontario elections, defeating the new Lisa-time Democratic candidate for only 114 votes.
The 35 -year -old is not originally from Sault Ste. Marie, but worked at the Ford office as a special advisor to the Chief of Cabinet. Scott also worked in the office of former conservative Sault MPP Ross Romano when he was a minister of the Ontario Cabinet.