Major layoffs delayed until January as GM postpones shift cut at Oshawa plant


The midnight shift change in the Oshawa plant in General Motors has postponed to January 30, 2026, the company and the union that represents the workers confirmed on Tuesday.

The change means that some 750 GM workers will remain at work until the new year, while 1,500 more who work for part of part of part will probably also have their work.

Last week, CBC News reported that the TFT Global Inc. supplier had planned to reduce almost 250 jobs for the end of this month. On Tuesday, that company confirmed by email those workers will keep their work until January.

The third line of GM was expected to be reduced at the beginning of November this year, according to local unifor president 222, Jeff Gray, although the company had not publicly committed to a date. Since May, Unifor and government representatives have been pressing the automatic giant to maintain production levels at the Oshawa plant, which builds the Silverado Chevrolet.

“We want to keep this truck running as it is now,” Gray told CBC News on Tuesday.

“Our members here in Oshawa build a high quality truck. They do it efficiently, they do it safely … They make General Motors a lot of money.”

GM spokeswoman Ariane Pereira confirmed that the three shifts will continue until January 2026 in an email on Tuesday.

“At that time, the plant will return to a two -way operation and the preparations will continue to build the next generation of pills with full size gas,” he said.

“We continue to work closely with Unifor to support employees during this transition.”

In May, GM announced that he was moving to a two -way operation In the midst of what he called a “evolving commercial environment.” That announcement occurred after the president of the United States, Donald Trump, leveled a 25 percent tariff on cars that do not meet Cusma and the non -American part of vehicles gathered in April.

A unifor memorandum published on Tuesday continued to blame the possible line cut in “Dirty Policy of the United States”

Oshawa has the second highest unemployment rate in the country

Temporary postponement is positive for Oshawa’s economy.

The information of Statistics Canada published last week shows that the Oshawa unemployment rate has increased to nine percent, the second highest in the country.

The mayor of Oshawa, Dan Carter, said Sunday that he is “very worried” about the growing unemployment rate during an interview in CBC’s Rosemary Barton LiveAdding that governments expect governments to work with GM to prevent the third shift from being reduced.

“We need a plan to advance, to protect those works,” he said.

The only city with a higher unemployment rate is Windsor, which has also been bitten by automatic tariffs.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *