The Punjab government has called the Army in six districts to help civil authorities in rescue and relief operations, while the Chenab, Ravi and Sutlej rivers faced an “exceptionally high” flood on Wednesday.
Punjab faces an unprecedented flood emergency due to a combination of heavy rains and India’s decision to release water from two dams. Both countries have been devastated by intense monsoon rains and floods in recent weeks.
What we know so far:
- Two heads in Chenab, one in Ravi and Sutlej in ‘Exceptionally high flood’
- Another point in Chenab on a ‘very high’ flood, while 5 heads in the Indo River see a “low ‘flood
- PM orders ministers to visit the affected districts
- PDMA warns about a great flood in Ravi in Jassar
- Rescue 1122 says that more than 32,500 people evacuated so far from river areas
- Sialkot breaks the 49 -year -old rain record; More showers are expected in Punjab
Today, India opened all the doors of the main dams in the busy back rivers after heavy rains, and warned Pakistan about the possibility of downstream floods, Reuters He cited an Indian government source as saying.
Subsequently, the Ministry of Water issued a flood alert, seen by Dawn.comto flood three rivers, Sutlej, Ravi and Chenab, which flow to the country from India.
At the same time, heavy rains in the upper areas of capture of the Chenab River have swollen downstream flows, which puts thousands of citizens at risk.
From 12 pm, Chenab in the heads of Qadirabad and Khanki, Ravi in Jassar and Sutlej in Ganda Singh Wala were in a condition of “exceptionally high flood”, according to the data of the Flood Prognosis Division (FFD) of the MAC MAC.
Jassar Heads had already been declared that he faced exceptionally high flood at 2 am
Water outlets in Khanki were recorded in more than 1 million cubic feet per second (CUSECs) and were “stable”, while the qadirabad outputs had more than 900,000 Cusecs and had an “ascending” trend.
The exits in Jassar and Ganda Singh Wala were more than 200,000 Cusecs, with “fall” flows in the first and stable in the second.
Marala Headworks, who had been in “Exceptionally high flood” at 2 AM, was now at the “very high” flood level, with decreasing exits of around 600,000 Cusecs.
Balloki and Shahdara in Ravi, as well as Suleimanki’s heads in Sutlej, faced a medium level flood. Water outlets in Ravi’s two locations were less than 100,000 CUSECs, while Suleimanki’s were around 100,000 Cusecs.
The heads of Chashma, Taunsa, Guddu, Sukkur and Kotri on the Indo River were on a “low” flood from the last update at 12 pm the Headworks Islam on the Sutlej River was also on low flood.
At 12:30 pm, the versions of the Tarbela dam to release water would open, according to a position by the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA).
The authority expected the water levels to reach 250,000 CUSECs as a result and urged the public to avoid approaching the river tracks in adjacent areas of the Indo River, where an increase in water flows was probably probable.
The Provincial Authority for Disaster Management (PDMA) said Tuesday night that India had opened all the doors of its prey in the Ravi River. The announcement occurred a day after Pakistan received a second warning from India that was intended to release water from the Madhopur dam that fills rapidly, Reuters reported. Both dams are located on the Ravi River, which flows from Punjab Indio to Pakistan.
In a statement today, the PDMA stressed that the situation of the flood had emerged in Punjab as “there was a record increase in the river waters due to the rains in the areas of the north.”
Detailing the decisions taken during a meeting chaired by Punjab Minister Khawaja Salman Rafiq, and the main secretary Zahid Akhtar Zaman, the PDMA statement said it was decided not to place rape sections (part of an flood edge) in the Chenab and Ravi rivers.
The Punjab, Nabeel Help Commissioner, Javed, in a statement, said that all the attached commissioners and other officers were present in the field.
“There is no space for errors,” he said, ordering the authorities to guarantee the evacuation of residents of flooded areas as soon as possible.
Kartarpur, home of the Sij de Gurdwara Darbar Sahib’s religious site, was also flooded.
Army troops, in coordination with the local administration, were working to evacuate around 200 to 300 people who were stranded, administered by the State Pakistan radio reported.
PM orders ministers to visit the areas
In view of the risky situation, Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif issued special directives to federal ministers to visit the areas affected in Punjab and monitor help operations, said the government in X.
The prime minister also ordered the president of the NDMA, the LT Gen, Inam Haider, Malik would remain in contact with the Punjab PDMA and provide complete assistance to evacuate people to safe places.
“Help operations should be further accelerated, and coordination between institutions must be intensified. The process of immediately relocating people who live along the passages of the rivers to safe places must become more effective and fast,” said Prime Minister Shehbaz.
According to a spokesman for the Department of Origin of Punjab, the Army has been requested in the districts of Lahore, Faisalabad, Kasur, Sialkot, Nareowal and Okara to support the district administrations in the protection of lives and property.
The decision was made after local administrations formally requested the immediate deployment of troops.
In an X publication, administered by the State PTV news He said the army was carrying out rescue and relief operations in Lahore, Faisalabad, Okara, Kasur, Sialkot and Nareowal from last night.
PDMA warns about a great flood in Ravi in Jassar
In statements to the media this morning, Punjab’s general director of PDMA, Irfan Ali Kathia, warned that the high flood in Ravi was expected to pass through Jassar would pass through Lahore and Shahdara tonight between 10 pm and 12 am
DG Kathia added that the flood was expected to pass through the Balloki heads at 9 am in tomorrow.
He stressed that all relevant institutions, including rescue teams and district administrations, have been alerted according to the directives of Punjab Prime Minister Maryam Nawaz.
The DG PDMA said that 20,000 to 25,000 people had already been evacuated from the flood plains of Chenab and Ravi.
DG Kathia said that the last time such a large water flow was seen almost 38 to 39 years ago.
“But now we hope that the water is between 180,000 and 190,000 Cusecs,” he said, adding that, since Shahdara has a capacity of 250,000, it is expected to pass safely without important losses.
More than 32,500 evacuated people so far from the areas of the river: Rescue 1122
Meanwhile, more than 32,500 people have been evacuated so far from areas along with several rivers in Punjab, said the 1122 rescue service as help and rescue operations continue.
“Around 32,589 people have been safely evacuated on areas along the shores of the Indo, Chenab, Ravi, Sutlej and Jhelum Rivers,” said Punjab Rescue Decue 1122 Farooq Ahmad spokesman in a statement.
“Yesterday, around 5,970 people were evacuated from areas that could face floods,” said Ahmad.
Giving a breakdown in the district, Ahmad said that 2,275 were evacuated from Kasur, 914 of Okara, 846 of Pakpattan, 785 of Bahawalpur, 323 de Vehari, 270 from Bahawalnagar, 259 of Nareowal, 74 of Hafizabad, 27 of Lodhran and 15 of Chinin.
Rescue teams in the previous districts, as well as in Sialkot, Gujranwala, Gujrat and Mandi Bahauddin, had been put on maximum alert.
The spokesman, in a statement, said that around 987 people have been rescued from the possible flood areas today, including 719 of Nankana Sahib, 124 of Hafizabad, 103 of Nareowal, 27 of Gujrat and 14 of Gujranwala.
ASSERTING that the teams are Bahawalpur, Sialkot, Nareowal, Gujrat, and Mandi Bahauddin.
Another 400 rescue boats will be used as support, added Rescue official 1122. The nearby districts have also received instructions to help in case of any emergency.
The Edhi Foundation, in a statement issued by its spokesman, detailed its help efforts in the areas affected by floods in Kasur, saying that their teams transferred many families affected to security.
“Help efforts are underway in Kasur, where the following peoples have been flooded: Ganda Singh, Chanda Singh, Bhikki and Dhonay,” the statement said. He added that medical camps have established themselves for affected families and urged citizens to communicate with EDHI’s help line in 115 in case of emergency.
The emergency officer of the Silakot district (DEO) Naveed Iqbal appealed to residents of low areas near the Tawi and Chenab rivers to move immediately to safe places to avoid any unpleasant situation, Application reported.
More rain is expected on Punjab while Sialkot breaks the 49 -year -old record
In an update at 11 am, the Department of Meteorology of Pakistan (PMD) said that the rain with strong winds and thunderstorms would probably continue in Narowal, Sialkot, Lahore, Kasur, Jhelum, Hafizabad, Gujranwala, Gujarat, Sheikhupura, Azad Kashmir and around the areas in the next three hours.
The PMD advised the public to take precautionary measures and remain updated.
In the last 24 hours until 9 am, Sialkot witnessed the greatest amount of rain in the last 49 years, said the PMD.
During the 24 -hour period, the city registered 363.5 millimeters of rain, exceeding 339.7 mm that received on August 6, 1976, the PMD added.