Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, on Friday to his European counterparts that have no reason to reactivate UN sanctions after they threatened to do so in the coming months unless there is progress in nuclear conversations.
“If the EU/E3 wants to have a role, they must act responsibly and set aside the worn and pressure worn policies, including the ‘Snap-back’ for which they have absolutely no legal (or) legal motive,” Araghchi said in X.
He added that “any new round of conversations is only possible when the other side is ready for a fair, balanced and mutually beneficial nuclear agreement.”
The comments occurred after Araghchi held a telephone conference with his British, French and German counterparts and head of foreign policy of the Kaja Kallas European Union.
European diplomats told Araghchi about “their determination to use the” Snapback “mechanism, which allows the reimposition of all international sanctions against Iran, in the absence of concrete progress” towards a new agreement in Iran’s nuclear program “at the end of summer,” said the French external ministry.
French officials have previously indicated that this means at the end of August.
Last month, French Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barot said that Europeans would be “justified” when looking for a UN snapback snapback raised under a 2015 nuclear agreement between Iran and the main powers, later abandoned by the president of the United States, Donald Trump.
“Without a firm, tangible and verifiable commitment of Iran, we will do it no later than end of August,” he told reporters.
Last week, Araghchi urged Europeans to play “a constructive role” on the nuclear issue.
“The threat of sanctions does not help diplomacy,” Araghchi told the French newspaper I monde.
A lot has been speculated on the state of Iran’s nuclear program since Israel and the United States bombed the key facilities last month.
A clause in the 2015 agreement allows the UN sanctions to Iran to reimpose through a Snapback mechanism in case of non -compliance.
But the agreement expires in October, giving the parties a quick coupling deadline to invoke the clause.
Iran and the United States maintained several rounds of nuclear negotiations through Omani mediators that Israel launched its 12 -day war on June 13. Trump’s decision to join Israel to attack Iranian nuclear facilities effectively ended the conversations.
Since the end of hostilities, both Tehran and Washington have pointed out the will to return to the table, although Tehran has said that it will not renounce their right to peaceful use of nuclear energy.
An advisor to Iran’s supreme leader, Ayatolá Ali Khamenei, who has the last word in a matter of state, said Monday that there would be no new nuclear conversations with the United States if they were conditioned to the enrichment of Uranium of Iran.