Roads blocked in Kenya’s capital on anniversary of pro-democracy protests | Protests News


The event occurs when Kenyan young people, frustrated by the economy, corruption and police brutality, are taking to the streets.

Kenya is marking its anniversary of prodemocratic demonstrations, and the police block the main roads in the capital, Nairobi, anticipating protests, after last month’s demonstrations descended to violent clashes.

People come together every year on July 7 to commemorate the date in 1990 when the Kenians demanded a return to multi -party democracy after years of autocratic government by then President Daniel Arap Moi.

The protest is called “Saba Saba”, which means “seven seven” in Kiswahili, due to the date.

The buildings of the Kenya Antiriot Police Guard Parliament in Nairobi, Kenya, July 7, 2025 [Brian Inganga/AP Photo]

Monday’s event occurs when Kenyan young people, angry at economic stagnation, corruption and repeated acts of police brutality, once again participate in protests that also saw looting and violence, leaving dead dozens and thousands of destroyed companies.

Protesters accuse the authorities to pay armed vandals to discredit their movement, while the government has compared the demonstrations with a “coup attempt.”

On Monday, the streets of Nairobi were disturbingly silent after the police set up obstacles on the main roads, preventing most people from entering the center, with many companies closed for the day.

The government is committed to protecting life and property during protests, Kipchumba Minister Kipchumba said on Sunday.

“Our security agencies are on a maximum alert to deal with criminals and other elements of bad intention that can try to infiltrate peaceful processions to cause ravages, chaos or destruction of property,” he said.

The leading activist Hanifa Aden wrote in X: “The police rained while blocking each path while we stay at home by heating our beds.”

“The total closure and forced vacations executed by the State,” he added.

On Sunday afternoon, a press conference from the Kenyan Human Rights Commission that asked for “forced disappearances and extrajudicial murders” broke when men, some armed with sticks, made their way into the complex.

Social networks and growing economic expectations have created anger at inequalities in a country where approximately 80 percent are trapped in informal and poorly paid jobs.

The death of Albert Ojwang, a teacher and blogger, under police custody in June gave the protests impulse, with the National Human Rights Commission of Kenya funded by the Government that reports 19 deaths throughout the country during the demonstrations last month.

Prosecutors approved murder charges against six people, including three police officers, for Ojwang’s death. The six declared themselves innocent.

At least 80 people have died in protests since June 2024 and dozens arrested illegally.

Politically, President William Ruto, chosen in 2022, still occupies a strong position, after having forged an alliance with the main opposition leader, Raila Odinga, without leaving a clear Challenger before the next vote in 2027.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *