Prosecutors are looking for more than seven years in prison for former dishonor congressman George Santos after he declared himself guilty of federal fraud and identity robbery charges.
The United States Prosecutor for the Eastern District of New York argued in a presentation of the Court on Friday that a significant sentence was justified because the “incomparable crimes” of the New York Republican had “mocked” of the country’s electoral system.
“He lied to his campaign staff, his followers, his alleged employer and colleagues from Congress, and the American public,” the office wrote. “Since its creation of a totally fictitious biography to its cruel theft of money from major and disabled donors, the without restrictions of saints and the voracious appetite for fame allowed it to exploit the system itself by which we select our representatives.”
The office also argued that Santos had been “impenitent and challenging” for years, dismissing the Prosecutor’s Office as a “witch hunt” and refusing to resign from Congress since his network of lies was discredited.
Even after declaring themselves guilty to the trial, prosecutors argued their remorse statements “hole ring”, pointing out that he has not lost any of his battered profits or has paid any of his victims.
“The volume of Santos’s lies and their extraordinary pattern of dishonesty speaks of their high probability of recidivism and the concomitant need to get him out of the community that has repeatedly victimized,” prosecutors wrote.
The sentence of 87 months proposed by prosecutors represents the high range of the court guidelines in such cases. That would be approximately four to five years after bars plus a minimum mandatory sentence of two years for aggravated identity theft, they said.
Santos’s lawyers did not immediately respond to an email in search of comments on Friday, which was the deadline for both parties to submit their judgment notes to the courts.
A federal judge in Long Island is scheduled to listen to arguments and decide on Santos’s judgment during a judicial hearing on April 25.
The Republican who once was in motion, who represented parts of Queens and Long Island, served just a year in office before being expelled by his colleagues from the Chamber in 2023, only the sixth congressman expelled in the history of the Chamber.
Santos’s political disappearance occurred after it was revealed that he had manufactured much of his life story, which caused questions about how political policy had financed his winning campaign.
The now 36 -year -old was chosen as a rich businessman who had graduated from the best universities, worked on the prestigious Wall Street companies and had a valuable real estate portfolio. In truth, he was fighting financially and faced eviction.
Santos admitted in August that he cheated the voters, cheated the donors and stole the identities of almost a dozen people, including their own family members, to make donations to their Congress campaign.
Initially, it should be sentenced in February, but a judge granted him a postponement of three months to obtain more than half a million dollars in judicial fines.
As part of its guilt, Santos agreed to pay almost $ 375,000 in restitution and $ 205,000 in loss.
Santos’s lawyers said at that time that he had just over $ 1,000 in liquid assets and that he needed more time to build his freshly launched podcast “Pants on Fire” to start paying the debt.
Prosecutors keep Santos generously benefit from their infamy, arguing that he has won more than $ 800,000 for appearances on the shared video website and a new documentary since his expulsion from Congress.
Two of Santos’ campaign employees also declared themselves guilty of federal positions in relation to the campaign financing scheme.
Sam Miele, his former collection of campaign funds, was sentenced in March for a year and one day in a federal prison. He admitted to impersonating a high -ranking congress assistant and having charged donor credit cards without authorization while raising campaign cash for Santos.
Nancy Marks, a former treasurer of Santos’s campaign, admitted that he was presented to federal federal regulators Financing reports full of false donors and even a false personal loan of $ 500,000 from Santos himself.
The ornaments helped Santos reach the fundraising thresholds of the campaign necessary to qualify for the financial support of the National Republican Party.
Marks must be sentenced in May.