Liberal candidate Paul Chiang withdraws from race after suggesting people claim China’s bounty on Conservative


The liberal candidate of the area of ​​the Toronto area, Paul Chiang, leaves the race only a few hours after the RCMP told CBC News that he is investigating whether he violated the law by suggesting that people turned a conservative candidate running on a trip close to the Chinese consulate to collect a reward.

“As the Prime Minister and the Canada team work to face the president [Donald] Trump and protect our economy, I don’t want there to be distractions at this critical moment, “Chiang wrote just before midnight on Monday in a statement published on the social media site X.

“That is why I’m standing as our 2025 candidate in our Markham-Unionville community.”

It occurs after liberal leader Mark Carney said Monday that Chiang could stay after apologizing for his “deeply offensive comments” and “terrible period of judgment.”

The pressure increased from opposition parties and more than 40 organizations that demand that Carney has immediately dropped Chiang and that the police investigate.

Chiang, a former police officer, called his own “deplorable” comments after the news was suggested that he suggested the media in the Chinese language at a press conference in January that people could give Tay to the Chinese consulate for a reward offered by the police in Hong Kong.

Tay was looking for the nomination of Chiang’s driving party at that time, and is now running in Don Valley North. In December, Hong Kong Police issued an arrest warrant and a reward for Tay worth more than $ 180,000. The Liberal Government denounced this type of orders last year as an attempt to intimidate critics abroad.

Tay directs a YouTube channel that promotes democracy and freedom of expression, and is the co -founder of the Hongkonger station based in Canada.

Conservative leader Pierre Poilievre said Monday that Tay is “fear for his life.”

Tay also spoke online, saying that he did not accept Chiang’s apologies and that he had been in contact with the RCMP about personal protection.

Carney defended Chiang as “integrity person”

Hong Kong Watch, an NGO focused on human rights issues, wrote a letter to the RCMP commissioner on Monday requested a police investigation to see if Chiang violated the law.

Activist Gloria Fung also said that the police discover if Chiang’s conduct has violated any disposition involved with foreign interference laws.

Chiang won his driving in 2021 and said he has served his community with his “most complete commitment to keep sure people and protect the values ​​of our country.”

“Every day, it served with integrity and worked to deliver results for the people of my community,” Chiang wrote in X.

CBC News asked the Carney campaign for a comment and has not yet received an answer. Earlier in the day, the liberal leader defended Chiang as a “person of integrity” who has been a former police officer for a long time with “more than a quarter of a century of service to his community.”



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *