Hunter Biden requests federal judge dismiss his laptop data case

Hunter Biden asked a federal judge on Wednesday to dismiss his demand against a former Trump assistant who focuses on the publication of the content of a laptop attributed to the former president’s son, saying that his financial resources decreasing have made it difficult to proceed with litigation.

In the documents filed in the Federal Court in California, Biden lawyers urged the US district judge Hernan D. Vera to dismiss the 2023 lawsuit filed against Garrett Ziegler. They said Biden “has suffered a significant recession in their income and has a significant debt in the range of millions of dollars.”

Their financial problems worsened, Biden’s lawyers said, after forest fires in the neighborhood of Pacific Palisades de los Angeles “flew” their life by making their rental house “without housing for a prolonged period of time.”

Biden “has had difficulty finding a new permanent place to live and find that it is difficult to make a living,” they wrote, and added that they need to direct their time and resources available to deal with their relocation, the damage to their rental house and the life expenses of their family, “instead of this litigation.”

A Ziegler lawyer did not immediately respond to a comment request on Wednesday. Biden lawyers declined to comment on the presentation of the court.

Follow the live policy coverage here

Biden sued Ziegler and the company he founded, Marco Polo, in September 2023, claiming that they violated state and federal laws to create an online search database with 128,000 emails attributed to Biden.

The judge who supervises the case had rejected a motion to dismiss her from Ziegler, who was an assistant to Trump’s commercial advisor, Peter Navarro, from February 2019 to January 2021.

Ziegler referred to the demand in comments last year as “completely frivolous.”

In September, the judge ordered Ziegler to pay approximately $ 18,000 for the legal fees of Biden.

Biden said in a related court that presents Wednesday that faces millions of dollars of debt and that “it is not in a position that you can borrow money.”

He said he had anticipated commitments and paid speech appearances after the comments of his works of art and memories, which his lawyers identified as his main source of income in previous years, “but that has not happened.”

Detailing the earnings of his art sales, Biden said that, although he had sold 27 pieces for an average of approximately $ 54,500 in the two or three years prior to demand, he had sold only one piece of art for $ 36,000 since then.

Biden also described a drop in book sales, saying that he went from selling more than 3,100 copies of his book from April to September 2023, when the demand was filed, to approximately 1,100 during the six -month period it followed.

NBC News has widely informed about financial problems and Biden efforts to ensure additional income, including a legal defense fund that finally did not take off.

Biden was convicted of federal weapons charges last year, and declared himself guilty in a federal taxes. President Joe Biden forgave him shortly before he was scheduled to be sentenced in the case of weapons in December.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *