Gaza City: While the first phase of Gaza’s truce came to an end on Saturday, negotiations in the next stage, which should ensure a permanent fire, so far have not been conclusive.
Hamas has made it clear that Gaza’s fire cessation conversations were not happening in the second phase, since he rejected the “formulation of Israel” to extend the first stage, Al Jazeera reported.
However, the Palestinian Group reaffirmed the acuity to complete the remaining stages of the high fire agreement, which led to “a high permanent fire, total withdrawal of the occupation forces of the Gaza Strip, reconstruction and lifting of the siege.”
In a letter to the Summit of the Arab League, which will be held on March 4, Hamas said: “We categorically reject the attempt to impose any project or forms of non -Palestinian administration or the presence of any foreign force in the territory of the Gaza Strip.”
Israel’s negotiating delegation returned from Cairo on Saturday and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was scheduled to meet with his security team, according to local media.
On the other hand, the United States announced its approval of the sale of more than $ 3 billion in ammunition, excavators and military teams related to Israel.
As the deadline for high the initial fire that entered into force on January 19 was about to expire, the UN Secretary General, Antonio Guterres, said the truce “must maintain”, asking the parties to “not dedicate any effort” to avoid a breakdown of the agreement. He warned against a return to hostilities in Gaza, saying that such a result would be “catastrophic.” He said that a high permanent fire and the release of all prisoners were essential to avoid more devastating consequences for people.
Posted in Dawn, March 2, 2025